New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New Suburban Fan

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Suburban Fan

Hello from Salt Lake City, Utah. Just joined up to this forum, to help me in part with my anticipated next purchase, and to provide support where I can.

Here's my story. We bought our '05 Suburban 1500 Suburban back in '07; after growing up with Suburbans, I was excited to finally get my own when we were starting our family. Beautiful loaded LT w/ 4.10 gears. The plan was to buy a travel trailer, which we bought soon thereafter (Hideout 27B, 5500-6000# loaded weight). We still own the '05, and it has been a fantastic vehicle. But we were less than thrilled with it towing on long, mountainous, windy Western stretches of road between Utah and the West Coast. So the next year, I came across a great deal on an '06 2500HD crew cab w/ LBZ Duramax, which more than met our towing needs for the next 4 years. Great truck, best vehicle I've ever owned.

But our family has continued to grow, and the truck became too small for us this year. So we sold it (turned out to be a great "investment," as the LBZ continues to be in very high demand in diesel tuner circles) this fall. Meanwhile, my dad and father-in-law both have purchased new 1500 Silverados in the last 18 months, and I have become enamored with the 6 spd/5.3 combination, which seems far superior to the 4 spd in my '05. So we are looking now for an '09-'12 Suburban/YXL 1500 to replace our '05 as my wife's daily driver, school bus, camping rig, road trip cruiser, scout troop/youth group transport, chore vehicle, and everything else these wonderful trucks can do so well.

Looking forward to being around the thread. I don't do a lot of my own wrenching anymore (haven't had to, fortunately), but between my parents' and siblings' trucks, I've been around a lot of full-size GM trucks over the last 20 years.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear from you Tystevens! Welcome
Old November 29th, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Active Member

Welcome to the site!!!
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I picked up a "new" 'Burb last night. '10 4x4 LT Z71 package. Silver exterior, black leather interior with captains chairs, pretty much everything but a sunroof. I overturned many stones to find one with the 3.42 gears and the K5L HD cooling options, but finally, I found the right truck.

Thanks again for all the advice.