New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Noise diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2018, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise diagnosis.

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 ext. cab z71 package. I’m trying to diagnose the first noise you hear in the video i attacthed.

I bought It used and before i got the truck all the pads were replaced and just recently put new rotors on the front. To me it sounds like a whining pump but at the same time it almost sounds rotational, which leads me to believe it’s in the brakes.

The other day i had to take it back to the shop that did the work for the dealership to have them fix the parking brake and replace a leaky gearbox. (since both of those shouldn’t have passed md inspection the mechanic did it for free.) Parking brake is now working and I’m not losing power steering fluid anymore but that whining noise is still there.

I also now get a clunk noise when i first start braking and when i inttilaly take off. Didn’t have it before taking it to the shop. I checked the front suspension and steering components out dont see anything loose that would make this noise. (sounds like the mechanic dropped a socket somewhere and it rolls when i brake and when i take off from a stop.)

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2018, 1:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Zpalmer
I have an 04 Silverado 1500 ext. cab z71 package. I’m trying to diagnose the first noise you hear in the video i attacthed.

I bought It used and before i got the truck all the pads were replaced and just recently put new rotors on the front. To me it sounds like a whining pump but at the same time it almost sounds rotational, which leads me to believe it’s in the brakes.

The other day i had to take it back to the shop that did the work for the dealership to have them fix the parking brake and replace a leaky gearbox. (since both of those shouldn’t have passed md inspection the mechanic did it for free.) Parking brake is now working and I’m not losing power steering fluid anymore but that whining noise is still there.

I also now get a clunk noise when i first start braking and when i inttilaly take off. Didn’t have it before taking it to the shop. I checked the front suspension and steering components out dont see anything loose that would make this noise. (sounds like the mechanic dropped a socket somewhere and it rolls when i brake and when i take off from a stop.)

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Sounds like the rear parking brake pads are the issue. Might have to pull the rotors and calipers, but it might also need and adjustment as they might have the PB shoe adjustment set too tight.