New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Noob in the house considering a bow tie

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob in the house considering a bow tie

Hello everyone.
I know this is where to say hello, but not sure if its where I can put my first post.

Anyways, here goes.

My first child (boy) was born just last year and already I'm considering a larger vehicle.

What I currently have is a 2 door Toyota Solara and a Rav4. Obviously the Solara isn't family friendly. Mounting the child seat in the back is a pain in the back. Second, the Rav4 is doing just fine, however, when we make trips at Costco, with groceries and strollers, the vehicle fills up quickly.

So I've thought about a larger vehicle.

First, I would like a minivan, but only a new one. However, they are pretty expensive. About $28,000 for a decent one. I am considering a used larger suv since they are cheaper (high gas prices, I don't drive that much) and safer if driven properly.

So I need your input and suggestions.

First, I'm thinking of only wanting to spend $15,000 on a used Suburban or Tahoe. Second, what is the mpg difference between the two? I know the burb is longer, but is it really a big difference? I wouldn't mind a 1mpg hit for the extra space.

Second, I have the impression that used Tahoe/Suburbans should still be somewhat robust since they have a truck's hardware rather than mini vans which have a car's. Can someone confirm? Are the burb's engine and tranny robust enough to still be reliable at about 80,000 miles?

Third, safety. I know they've fare pretty well on a head on collision with an average family sedan. How about getting t-boned? As for roll overs, I know it depends on the driver.

Finally, which generation and specs to buy. Since my budget is limited, what can I get with that in the used market. Should I get the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 or 8.1. RWD or 4WD.

What are your real world averages in city driving.

Thanks again!
Old February 15th, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome!

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like you have gotten some good responses in the other thread that you posted. I don't think you will be disappointed with either the Suburban or Tahoe!