New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2016, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak problem

Have '02 chevy Silverado with 4.8 L engine. Pretty nasty oil leak coming from above the rear housing. Already checked oil sending unit. Oil is all around it. But is also all over inside "V" around intake manifold. Not sure what would be leaking there. But it looks like it's been there for a while. Checked valve cover gaskets as well. They look dry. Engine has 192000 miles. Please, tell me it's not coming from the intake. I am a diesel mechanic, so I know my way around an engine. But that looks like something I don't want to tackle.

thanks
Old December 23rd, 2016, 3:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Userhx35543
Have '02 chevy Silverado with 4.8 L engine. Pretty nasty oil leak coming from above the rear housing. Already checked oil sending unit. Oil is all around it. But is also all over inside "V" around intake manifold. Not sure what would be leaking there. But it looks like it's been there for a while. Checked valve cover gaskets as well. They look dry. Engine has 192000 miles. Please, tell me it's not coming from the intake. I am a diesel mechanic, so I know my way around an engine. But that looks like something I don't want to tackle.

thanks
That's my guess, it's leaking
Old December 23rd, 2016, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

F%#£><.~%^^€<<k S¥¥><~}{{{#%>t CRAP!! And Fiddle Sticks!! Was hoping someone would say that it's this thing-a-ma-bob located here, and don't worry, it's easy to change. Not, that's your problem, and it's a bitch to change. Anyway, thanks for confirming my fears.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

And just for my own knowledge, wby would if leak oil there? It's an intake. Like I said I'm a diesel guy. Usually oil by the intake would be a turbo or a blower. I'm not familiar enough gas engines. Can you clue me in?
Old December 23rd, 2016, 6:11 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Userhx35543
And just for my own knowledge, wby would if leak oil there? It's an intake. Like I said I'm a diesel guy. Usually oil by the intake would be a turbo or a blower. I'm not familiar enough gas engines. Can you clue me in?
Come over to my house, look at the street in front, see all the oil stains, that's what I had from my lumina sending unit leaking. Could be something else, but, you state oil all around it, think about it.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 6:17 PM
CF Monarch

A mechanical joint such as an o ring, or thread that is sealed i.e. teflon tape won't start to leak over time if undisturbed. However an o ring or v cup seal (ex.) that has movement involved will leak over time. Sending unit "moves" with pressure, over time the seal will wear, and cause it to leak.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I got that. The oil sender is actually dry. I looked back there with a mirror. There is oil everywhere else though. The V under the intake is covered from front to back with oil and has actually been leaking for a while and has slowly been getting worse. I'm just lost on what is being lubricated around the intake for oil to be present there. Don't get me wrong, if it's leaking, it's leaking. Merely trying to gain a little knowledge.
Old December 24th, 2016, 7:22 AM
CF Monarch

What I'd suggest is degrease the engine, then start it look for where it's leaking.
Old December 24th, 2016, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, that was the next step. Can't be sure of any leaks without a good cleaning. Then work on finding the trail. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old December 24th, 2016, 8:14 AM
CF Monarch

Good luck!