New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Possible purchasing a 2003 Checy suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2018, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible purchasing a 2003 Checy suburban

Greetings All,
Need some advice. I want to purchase this 2003 Chevy Suburban. It just has barley over 100k miles on it. Its four wheel drive and pretty good shape. Now the only problem is the owner switched out the computer brain. The reason is he said when he would drive it the battery would keep dying. He had changed all the common things that would cause this and still no luck. So he purchased a new brain for it. However he did not get a GMC/Chevy brain. He got an after market one. So what do you guys think. He is selling it for 3K so it seems like a deal. Also didnt drive it much because he was always deployed.

Will
Old January 10th, 2018, 7:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Are there any maintenance records for it? If it was well maintained it should be a good buy. Regular oil and filter changes are very important.
Old January 10th, 2018, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Yes he kept good records on it. The only issue was that electrical part. Should i put an original brain back in it?
Old January 10th, 2018, 9:47 AM
CF Monarch

I would find out the brand of the one he put in and do some research on it to find out what others who have purchased it think of it. I myself would not replace it as long as it is working correctly.
Old January 10th, 2018, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Ok just got some more info. When driving the car will just die. Then he would get a jump and it would start right back up. He did have an after market radio installed.
Old January 11th, 2018, 7:21 AM
CF Monarch

Are you saying that it will only start with a jump? What is the condition of the battery and the alternator?
Old January 11th, 2018, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Now here are the facts
It will start without a jump.
It will stay running as long as its parked.
If you drive it around the battery will not charge. It will go dead.
If you jump start it after that it will crank. But you will need another battery to get home.
There is now no radio installed there was an after market one but it has been taken out
Didnt have this problem when he had a capacitor hooked up for the aftermarket radio.