New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Question about a transmission swap in my 1991 gmc sierra k2500 SLE

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2018, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a transmission swap in my 1991 gmc sierra k2500 SLE

I have a 1991 gmc sierra k2500 sle with a 350 tbi and a 700r4, other day was having ideas run through my head about if i want to switch out my 700r4 and switch it with a 5 speed manual. Or keep the 700r4 and rebuild it. I hate dealing with that tv cable alot of shops around here wont touch em. Im wondering if i should just replace it with a 5 speed, i think it will make the truck way more fun to drive .Im not planning on pushing alot of power outta my truck. Its just a 350 tbi with some headers and a full exhaust, so if anybody knows what transmission id have to buy to do that swap and what components im gonna need to make sure everything will fit. Also if i need a new driveshaft or have my shortened. Or if i need a new transfer case things like that. If someone could get back to me that would be great, thank you for your time!
Old July 9th, 2018, 6:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ianjc91
I have a 1991 gmc sierra k2500 sle with a 350 tbi and a 700r4, other day was having ideas run through my head about if i want to switch out my 700r4 and switch it with a 5 speed manual. Or keep the 700r4 and rebuild it. I hate dealing with that tv cable alot of shops around here wont touch em. Im wondering if i should just replace it with a 5 speed, i think it will make the truck way more fun to drive .Im not planning on pushing alot of power outta my truck. Its just a 350 tbi with some headers and a full exhaust, so if anybody knows what transmission id have to buy to do that swap and what components im gonna need to make sure everything will fit. Also if i need a new driveshaft or have my shortened. Or if i need a new transfer case things like that. If someone could get back to me that would be great, thank you for your time!
I'd sell it it you want a stick-shift. You'd have to install a new flywheel, mount ALL the clutch gear in the cab and the engine compartment, buy new drive-shafts, intall
the floor shifter, ect. Is all of that worth your time and money? Too if you upgraded to the 1996 K2500 you would have OBD II as well. Better to put in a rebuilt 700r4.