News, Concepts, SEMA Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Chevrolet. (This is not a tech section.)

GM CEO stepdown?

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 6:12 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay for no unions!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

Yea, no unions, no bailouts. Let the "business darwinism" take its course. You will find out that GM really will pull itself out of this. So will chrysler and ford. I'm proud of ford though. They showed the US that they can make it without bailout. Hopefully they don't change their mind now.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Its because Ford isn't in the deathgrip of its own word. GM has to uphold all those full retirement benefits and health insurance they promised the retired union workers.

I don't see why UAW-GM employees get paid so much. UAW-T/AS workers make the American Standard Heating and A/C units our business installs. They are barely paid a quarter as much. Their pay comes out to something like $21/hr average (benefits included in avg.). MUCH less than the $80-something/hr UAW-GM workers.

Unions are a thing of the past. They should have been done away with during the civil rights movement.
Old April 12th, 2009, 1:10 PM
CF Veteran

Why do you suppose that the UAW negotiates those packages when times are good? I've heard both sides and have to say that in some cases the union is necessary. Business in this country isn't just run by folks who want to treat their employees fairly. In fact, there are some real nasty people who own and run business(the Continental Can Company class action lawsuit some years back is a good example). Sad to say, it does "take a crook to fight a crook". In the automakers situation, in my opinion, both the union leaders and upper level management screwed the pooch and as usual middle level management (union and business) will take it in the shorts again and again and again. Greed and lack of long-term thinking did the trick this time plain and simple.