Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Best "bang for the buck" small block?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2010, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best "bang for the buck" small block?

I'm looking for opinions and general info. on what it would be. Reason is because my '78 Nova has the straight 6 in it. At first, me and my dad were going to build it up, but a cool idea turned into something that would be very expensive. So I got my first part-time job and am saving for a small block. My dad is "old-fashioned" and likes the first-gen sbc because he knows a lot about them. I was thinking about going with a 3rd or 4th-gen LS series engine, but found they can be very pricey. And then there's the LT engine series, that I don't really know too much about. I want something that will put out decent power for a daily driver (and maybe strip if I decide to) and will fit with as little modifications as possible. If I can't drive my car to work, there's no money to be made for the car. Advice, recommendations, and success stories are all welcome.
Old August 1st, 2010, 7:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gm performance parts has crate motors making good power, 325hp+, ready to run, but kinda pricey at $5000+. another option, search craigslist, find a good condition sb, replace the cam with a good performance grind, lifters too, maybe heads, which can be found on craigslist too, aluminum intake, 650cfm or so carb, good delco plugs, taylor brand wires. should be able to break 300hp, and more maybe. i've done it many times. there's alot of options and ideas, i'll be glad to help any way i can. good luck!
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get a GMPP 350 replacement engine with 250 hp for $1500 (u have to haggle the dealer) and it is all brand new, cam change and and edelbrock intake and carb and u r at 300 hp all for a lil over 2 grand u will also need a distributor and exh. manifolds too, not to mention your dual exh so in the end plan on 3 grand for it all, unless u have some parts kikin around, but to rebuild an engine to make 300 hp and all the things u will need will be about $2500, so it is your call, new or rebuilt
Old October 8th, 2010, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

compcams has a great free program for building and trying differant parts.it gives you a dyno sheet and compcam part numbers. the off road cam #3 and #4 give you great hp and tq,while remaining streetability. as far as fitting a motor in your nova a sbc is a drop in.