OLD - PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

For Sale: 1983 Celebrity 2.5 FI Sedan

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2010, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Celebrity 2.5 FI Sedan

Hello all. First let me say that i am a new member to the chevrolet forums. I am a regular over at turbobricks.com, a Volvo forum. I have joined this form because i have a car i would like to sell and i would like it to go to a good caring home. As a regular over on turbobricks, i am always weary when i see a brand new member selling a car on the for sale thread. Thats why i am letting you all know why im here first off. I want this car to go to a good home. Its has a bit of history, nothing crazy but history involving myself and its too good for a junk yard or to get beat into the ground by some young new license holder.

Here is the write up about the car:

1983 Chevy Celebrity Sedan

2.5 Four Cylinder “Iron Duke”

14,000 Miles (Unless it rolled over once, im not sure) You may carfax if you like.

Automatic

Two Owners (I’m the second)

Clean Title In Hand

BaBe Rally Veteran

$500 Neg~

A bit of background on the car. I am the second owner of this car and bought the car from the original owner. This car was use during the month of June 2010 for a week long rally from New York to New Orleans called the BaBe Rally. The idea of this rally is to buy a car, 1996 or older for $500 or less and drive it down to New Orleans. This is the car i used. We chose to drive it back and it made it.

The car developed a few problems during this road trip. The transmission seemed to act odd when driving up and down hills. The car’s check engine light came on a bunch of times during the drive down and back home (not sure if this was because of the distance covered or what). The car did not suffer any odd symptoms when this happened. The light is currently not on. Im not sure if it was an emissions issue like a faulty O2 sensor or something else. The Idle seems to be high when first started but does level out. The brakes do feel a bit low. I would suggest a bleed and refill with new DOT 3 or Dot 4 fluid.

The car also has a “hot start” issue. After driving long distances in hot weather the car would not restart right away. Give it 20-25 minutes to cool off and it would start right up. I was told that this is a common issue with a lot of GM product from this time period as the starter motor is located right below the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold heats up, heats up the starter, and then the starter cannot generate enough electricity to start the car. This problem only manifested itself in the heat and humidity in Alabama and Louisiana. I believe that the starter heating up is one issue, but i also think the distributer rotor or cap may be worn. This is just my guess without taking a look at it.

Other then those known problems the car is good. It was a one owner car before i bought it and was well maintained. The car has very little rust on the body and it is only surface. The body is in good condition aside from normal scratches and a long dent on the passenger-side front fender. The paint, although boring grey, is in good shape. Everything in the car works. Manual roll up windows and a simple tape deck stereo with two front dash speakers and thats it. The heat works well but the A/C will need a recharge. The headliner is in rough shape as it is falling down. Its all there but it is sagging. The car does not burn or leak oil or any other vital fluids.

The original owner had a few new parts put in the car. I do not know when these parts were installed but they look fresh to me. The starter is new-ish, as is the master cylinder and a/c compressor. The tires are in really good shape and i would say they have a good 60-75% life left on them. The purple vinyl stripes and decals have been removed. The driving lights have also been removed. The interior is almost mint. No rips or tears or odd stains inside. Plenty of spring and support in the seats. The interior is quite amazing for its age and the “quality” of GM product during its time.

This is a good car and although boring and not exciting i hope it finds a good home. It does not deserve the junk yard. This car has a lot more miles left in it and wont drink too much. The issues it has are small and can be fixed. This would be a great A-B car. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me. That is the best way to contact me. The car is currently not registered or insured and sitting in my driveway. The car does currently start and run.

Here are some photos of the car. All the stripes and driving lights have since been removed.

The car is located in Long Beach New York.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at;

seanscolgan AT GMAIL DOT COM
Old August 4th, 2010, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Here are current photos of how the car sits right now.

Name:  bcb0227a.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  a20fbe61.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  46.5 KB

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Still looking for a home.
Old August 21st, 2010, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Price drop. $350 before it goes to a charity.
Old October 6th, 2010, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

You get any buyers yet?
Old October 7th, 2010, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

The car has been sold. Thanks.