Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

2006 Chevy Aveo Throttle Body Replacement

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2013, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevy Aveo Throttle Body Replacement

Hello,
I have a 2006 Chevy Aveo with 99,000 miles recently stopped responding when pressing on the accelerator and the engine would often die when idling.

A auto shop that I typically use took a look and said it was the throttle body that needed to be replaced. We played phone tag and they never called to let me know if/when the part was available.

I got impatient and looked up some information, diagrams, help forums, etc and attempted to replace the Throttle Body on my own. After finding the part and getting the new throttle body installed the Aveo is now malfunctioning in a different way.

After replacing the Throttle Body:

When in Park or Neutral the tachometer will jump to 1500 RPMs for a few seconds, then down to 1000 RPM's for a few seconds, and then the needle will drift lower than 1000 RPM's followed by the engine sputtering and then dying. If I floor the accelerator the engine responds immediately, the tach jumps up to about 4000~5000 RPM's.

After turning over the engine and immediately shifting into reverse or drive gear, the tach levels out at 1000 ~ 1500 RPM's and the engine will stay running with the break on. There is an occasional popping sound from under the hood.

When in Drive, the max speed is about 25 mph with the gas pedal pushed to the floor. Flooring the gas pedal does not result in the engine revving or the tach needle jumping. There have been a few exceptions when the car would not accelerate past 25mph that turning off the engine and turning it back on allowed me to accelerate normally until the engine was turned off again.

The instructions that I found led me to believe that after reinstalling the new Throttle Body and starting the engine the on board computers would recalibrate automatically.

As the car does not drive at highway speeds, I have yet to bring it back to a mechanic or auto parts store to have codes pulled.

Any ideas other than "bring it to a mechanic" or "push it off of a cliff"?

Thanks
Old October 9th, 2013, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owner of a 2007. Check the vacuum lines that attach to the throttle air body. Mine did the same thing. Replaced throttle pedal sensor and body and PVC. Turned out was a broken vacuum line. Look real close as it did not appear to be broken
Old October 9th, 2013, 9:49 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve1
Turned out was a broken vacuum line. Look real close as it did not appear to be broken
A can of carb cleaner sprayed around various areas of the engine can also help identify a vacuum leak. A leaking vacuum line will suck in the carb cleaner and cause the idle to change...