Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

90 Celebrity 3.1 VIN T dies

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Celebrity 3.1 VIN T dies

<title>High mileage (306K) rig that has run perfect most of its life</title><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> High mileage (306K) rig that has run perfect most of its life. A while back it started stumbling at times on the road. At one time it had an issue with the TCC and it felt similar but this is definitely an engine issue. Shortly after this problem started it quit running on my wife. I got to the vehicle a few hours later and it started right up and seemed to run OK. Since it had previously had a crank position sensor go out (a couple years before) with similar symptoms and it's cheap I replaced it. Fired up and drove a bit and parked but then it would not start again. I also removed the wire from the CKP to the igntion module completely from the vehicle and checked it and the connectors thoroughly before re-installing it. For over 2 months (she had another car to drive) I tried it off and on but zero spark, no run but definitely had fuel to injector rail. Tried a 2nd crank position sensor thinking I might have gotten a defective unit. Still no spark at all. Removed the igniton module and took it in for testing. Auto parts store ran test continuously for maybe 10 minutes and said no issues with it. Re-installed module and still dead. Talked to a friend who used to be a factory troubleshooter for Chevy and he told me he had a similar vehicle once that he had to put a .015 shim under the crank sensor to get it to run properly. Just for kicks I cut a .005 shim and put it under the crank sensor. Fired right up and seemed to run normally even after driving 5-6 miles. Picked up the wife and headed for the store and got maybe 6-7 miles up the road and it started stumbling again and then died. Had to wait a minute or 2 and then it re-started. Ran very rough and continued to die frequently but got it home. I also tried swapping the ECM out of my car into my son's identical 90 Celebrity. It ran fine with mine so assumed that was not the issue. Put it back in and since then have tried a .010 shim, started ran poorly and died before I got 50 feet. Went back to no shim and same thing so back to square one except it will re-start every time after it dies if I wait a minute or so. Pressure at fuel rail is exactly where it should be starting and running. Plugs and wires are good. It doesn't seem like it could be mechanical based on the fact that since the problems started it had a short period where it ran great. I have a Tech 1 but no real training on how to use it. I've watched some of the parameters and what I've seen looks normal. Never during this ordeal has any dtc showed up. I'm thinking maybe the igniton module is actually bad and just didn't show up during the auto parts store testing. It was done at AutoZone and I'm not real confident they knew what they were doing. I really don't want to just buy parts until it runs again but can't pin down any one thing that is failing. Any ideas?<o></o>
Thanks, Steve<o></o>
<o> </o>
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Celebrity 3 1 VIN T dies

Honestly i would like to see any celebrity wit someone normal, ya know someone who isnt rich or like famous, ya know, i just think that would be an idea of a cute couple cuz then u can tell that they really do care for one another n not just cuz like he or shes famous or just cuz he or she isnt ya know, doews that make any sense to yall?????