Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

eldebrock 1405 carb

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2019, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post eldebrock 1405 carb

I got a 1970 c20 with a 307 punched .30 over bought it as a project truck top end of motor was disassembled when i bought it. My problem is when i bought the new carb (edelbrock 1405) after i installed it i realized that when i was pumping the gas the rod coming from the pedal doesn't move the linkage like it should. instead of pulling it back towards the firewall it pushes toward the front of the motor. Any possible solutions? From what i could see there's no way for me to reverse the way its hooked up. I know its not backwards as everything else lines up. is there a part im missing? thanks in advance.

P.S not new to working on cars just new to messing with carbs.
Old November 17th, 2019, 5:08 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by AceAcarter117
I got a 1970 c20 with a 307 punched .30 over bought it as a project truck top end of motor was disassembled when i bought it. My problem is when i bought the new carb (edelbrock 1405) after i installed it i realized that when i was pumping the gas the rod coming from the pedal doesn't move the linkage like it should. instead of pulling it back towards the firewall it pushes toward the front of the motor. Any possible solutions? From what i could see there's no way for me to reverse the way its hooked up. I know its not backwards as everything else lines up. is there a part im missing? thanks in advance.

P.S not new to working on cars just new to messing with carbs.
I've worked on all too many carbs over the years. That said I am not familiar with your 1405 Edlebrock carb and much more familiar with the Edlebrock Thermoquad. I don't know of a way to convert your 1405 Eldebrock to work on your 1970 Chevy C-20 pickup.. If you have some pics of the unit, that might help me out.

If this is the unit you are speaking of I have worked on them or similar carbs: https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...-egr-1405.html.

That said, is there any way to attach your throttle cable to the top of the unit? (assuming that your throttle links up at the bottom as most carbs do)

Last edited by oilcanhenry; November 17th, 2019 at 5:11 AM.
Old November 18th, 2019, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the response the carb in the link is indeed the same one i have. turns out in the dark i hooked up the arm in the wrong spot. Looking at my father-in laws 46 i realized my mistake. had it hooked up to where the passing gear is supposed to be. however i havent tried to switch it yet hopefully it will work and fix my problem.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (November 18th, 2019)