Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

making more horsepower

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2016, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making more horsepower

first i would like to say that i do think this thread belongs in another section but it seems i couldn't find the new thread button elsewhere so this is the lucky spot. next! to start off. i'm not THAT smart with all the car terms but i'm not an idiot either. i plan on building a motor for my scion tc but i want to start from scratch pretty much. i will be buying a used motor than getting everything machined if need be etc. but instead of putting everything back together and replacing worn parts. i will be tossing all internals and replacing them with aftermarket components. now to the question part. with the 2.5L aluminum block what's a the hp limit for this block? and last here comes the confusing part for me. if i upgrade and use forged pistons rods etc instead of cast stuff. the metal is stronger and it will transfer and deal with heat better but my biggest question is. does just changing the type of metal used for rods and such increase horsepower or just make the components stronger? and if they just make the motor able to handle more stress, then what actually makes the motor gain horsepower without pushing turbo or just bolt-ons? once again sorry for my stupidity on some subjects but this just doesn't quite make since to me and since i want to build a motor i want it to be strong and fast but not break after 30,000 miles because i'm pushing to much hp to the block. or i want it fast but if i just upgrade the metal does it actually make it faster.. like i said i'm just not understanding where the horsepower gains come from when people build a motor with forged and billet (i think that's the right term. a little over my price range so wasn't going to mess with it) components. again i'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot and it's definitely not a chevy but this seems to be the most popular forum i could find. thanks for the help in advance!

I own a 2010 scion tc base model with a 5-speed manual transmission
fwd hatchback with the 2.5L camry motor in it. just a 4 banger lol