Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Tapping/Diesel Sound VERY Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping/Diesel Sound VERY Low Oil Pressure

To start with, it is a 1990 K1500 Z71 tbi. This truck sat up for a few months. I currently know nothing about the internals of this truck. I bought it from an uncle-in-law, who in turn bought it with a 383 stroker. The engine was built by an automotive racing shop, and I will be trying to contact them to see if they have any records of it. The engine taps loudly at idle, hard to hear if it does when revving. I was told that it's probably do to the cats being clogged up and it's too much back pressure on the lifters. My speedo gauge doesn't work, and my oil pressure gauge fluctuates, so I'm not sure if it is accurate either. I do know however, that the dipstick is showing overfull. I am afraid that the oil pressure is dropping, or non-existent because sometimes it will read zero. With oil maybe not getting to the top end, I think this could also be my tapping sound from the near dry lifters. I thought about draining it, new filter, heavier oil, and trying again. I don't know how this truck was tuned, and hoping it hasn't developed a valve clearance issue or rod knocking. It still runs very strong however. Just stalls out from time to time, assuming it's the clogged cats. I've done sea foam and a throttle body cleaning already. Fresh tune-up is done. I am going to check the flexplate bolts when I get it to the shop, as my rear end now needs replacing. :P This truck needs some work, so that's what I'm going to give it, lol.