S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

01 Blazer Doorlock light always On

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2021, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved: 01 Blazer Doorlock light always On

Hello,

I was trying to replace the driver side doorlock/powerwindow button group on my 2001 Blazer because the button for the rear driverside window was wonky. I ordered a new switch group off ebay, and then asked for a second one as well when I thought the first was bad. On both of the new switches, the led backlighting of the door lock button stays on indefinitely. Everything else works fine. None of the original buttons have any lights in them on any door. I was going to send the switches back and just keep using the old one but I must have damaged it during removal because now the front driver window button doesnt work at all so I am stuck replacing it.

Since the doorlock always has power, do some of the older cars that didnt come with light up buttons originally not have an automatic shutoff for the button lights? Is there some way to add this if its missing? Or do I have some other type of problem?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by Davetrader; October 6th, 2021 at 6:17 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old October 6th, 2021, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured out the problem in case anyone has the same thing happen to them. The new switches have LED lights that are on the same exact part of the circuit board as the power lock mechanism. They seem to always have power and are therefore on. The old switch did have lights on it but the lights are physically separated from the door lock mechanism and use a clear piece of plastic to guide the light under the buttom to make them light up. You can tell which you have by turning your switch body over and looking at the two holes on the bottom. There is a large center hole and a half circle hole on the edge. On the old switches, there is a colored piece of plastic at the bottom of the hole that has a notch that looks like it fits a flathead screwdriver. This is the type of switch I did have and when I found a new one of the same type, it worked with no problem. The new LED switches that would not work for me are different. They do not have a plastic insert with screwdriver notch. The center hole is open with a view of the green circuit board inside. The half hole on the edge is not cut all the way through on the bottom; its just the black plastic of the body. both are for sale new on ebay so check the pics of the backside before you order.