S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

'02 S10 Blazer fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2020, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 S10 Blazer fuel tank

I have a four door LS blazer. The owner's manual lists the fuel tank as 16 gal. Evidently only the one option? I have yet to run it bone dry so it's never been totally empty. I usually fill it up at the half tank or slightly less point on the gauge and it usually takes six or seven gallons to fill it. It has to be well below the half tank mark to take eight. This morning I ran it down to the first mark above the red line (empty) and it barely took eleven gallons. Either it still had five or so gallons left or the tank doesn't hold the stated sixteen. Any one know at what point the low fuel light should come on? I remember it came on once some years back when the gauge was reading pretty low but that was the only time. Can't remember now how much it took that day. It did not come on today, except for the light check at start up.

Anyone with one of these trucks care to share some experiences with their gauges?
Old March 8th, 2020, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure factory level gages are far from accurate..after all, it's just a resistor on a toilet tank type float arm. I bet yes, u have a good 4-5 gals still even when the gage reads @ E or the "low fuel" light comes on
Old March 8th, 2020, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

And, assuming an in tank pump, running tank empty all the time not in the pump's best interests, so you are smart in how you fuel your ride
Old March 8th, 2020, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

I had to replace the fuel pump in my S10 not long after I purch'd it..and the fella I bought it from did say he was notoriously bad about runnin it around near empty.....shockingly, once I had the pump out, the inside of the gas tank was almost spotless, but altho the "filter sock" on the pump itself wasnt clogged, it was the color of shat-in underdrawers.....lol
Old March 8th, 2020, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I agree with the theory on the gauge, but my question is more on the tank capacity. Were there any trucks sold with tanks less than 16 gal? I'm not crazy about the idea of running it dry just to find how much it would take at that point.
Old March 8th, 2020, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Rock Auto lists an 18 and 19 gal for '02 blazers...didnt see a 16 gal listed...now, the S10 pickup, basically same frame, offers a 16 and an 18, and the 18's dimensions identical to the Blazer's dimensions...shame gas tanks do not have a drain plug, be really ez then to find out fer sure...good luck