S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 4.3 No Start

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2007, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 4.3 No Start

'00 S -10 4.3 with 93k, I have owned since new. Eng well maintained...just tuned ,(no problems, I figured it was time to tune it up) plugs, wires cap, rotor, about two weeks ago. Starter spins, eng turns, I can hear the elec. fuel pump running... When first trying to start, it feels as if it is going to start, you can feel a couple of cyl.s fire, then no fire, just spins over...however you can smell raw gas fumes out of the exhaust. I checked all fuses and they are ok. Seems like all connections under the hood are ok. Is there anything I can look for here at home in the driveway before having to take it somewhere? Anything to check with a testlight...or multimeter? If you can give me some advice I'd sure be grateful! My experience troubleshooting the computerized ign. is not alot. I wasmechanic for over 12 years, but only worked on diesels in class 8 big trucks....Nowadays, I only drive trucks for a living, I got away from working in the shop.( I am a little rusty.) Thanks for any help.
Old October 18th, 2007, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2000 4.3 No Start

my daughters truck did this, I had to pour gas in the throttle body every morning to get it started, then it would be OK for the day. The next morning I had to start all over again with the gas down the throttle body. Check the fuel pressure, I know you can smell raw gas but maybe it's just not getting it to all cylinders.

Good Luck
Old October 18th, 2007, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2000 4.3 No Start

Howdy,ZeeQuEight. Even though you can hear the fuel pump, it might not have enough pressure behind it to startthe engine, rent or buy a pressure gauge from the parts store, it connects to the fuel rail at the back of the manifold, its easy to get to.the fule pump gauge should read(63psi), if it is lower it will not open the poppet valves to let fule through tothe injectors. another way to test to see if its the fule pump, and if the truck will start for a short amount of time,3 or 4 secondsisa small amount of starter fluid in the throttle body. The Haynes manualwill help walk you thruethe fulegaugesteps. both the gauge and starter fluid are lite on the wallet.[sm=burnout.gif]