S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 two door S10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2011, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 two door S10 Blazer

Here's a problem that I've been trying to fix for awhile now. Waddup with the tail gate on these things. The electric rear window latch solinoid is working, I can hear it, but it's not releasing the lift gate. Without opening the lift gate you cannot lower the tailgate. Without lowering the tail gate, you cannot fix the problem with the lift gate! I've read and tried several suggestions but none have worked. Without access to the rear, the truck is basically a worthless two seat four wheel drive sports car. I know there's a trick, anybody had this problem fixed out there? Wha'd you do?
Old January 6th, 2011, 9:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

It's a very easy process to fix yourself. We have this problem all the time at the yard. So I asked the guys how they do it.

There are two brass screws that hold the actuator to the panel.

A philips head screw driver and a 9/32 socket screwdriver are the only tools you need to replace the retainer.

This is how to replace it on a 1996 Blazer 4dr.

To open the window:

1. Remove the two screws on the door handle so you can pull back the door panel.
2. Pull back panel on top in the middle where it rises.
3. Reach in with a screw driver or your fingers to push down the lever. It's a metal piece on the left side against the wall to the inside of the truck.

4. Open window and tailgate and remove screws on the sides of the tailgate. There is one on each side. Make sure it is the one farthest out and on the plastic panel.
5. Once the screws are removed, pull up on half the panel that is farthest out from the truck. Slide out away from the truck. The panel should come off with a little effort. Do not pull up on the panel closest to the truck, you will break the hooks that hold it in. The panel will slide away from the truck pretty easily.
6. Remove the screws holding the middle metal panel down. There are about 12 screws. They are the 9/32 socket screws.

7. Pull the metal panel up, first dislodge the metal poles connected to the two white clips on each side in the center of the panel.
8. You will now see your actuator with the broken blue clip.

9. Pop off the blue retainer from the actuator. This will take some effort but it will pop off.
10. Place one end of the retainer into the loose metal piece that rotates and then pop the other end back on to the actuator.
11. Replace the metal panel and clip the poles back into the white clips.
12. Make sure your door handle rod is clipped into the lock before you close the tailgate. If not, you have to work at opening it again by sliding you arm down between the plastic panel and it's not easy.

13. Replace everything. Before you close the door, make sure the door handle works and make sure the actuator is connected.
14. You should now be able to use your tailgate window again!