S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2001 S10 4x4 4.3 electrical

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2018, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S10 4x4 4.3 electrical

Acts like a dead battery. Tested the battery on my olde time analog tester, it's fine. Have had problems in the past on GM cars, with the + battery cable corroding internally at the solenoid post connection. Replaced the + battery cable assy. While replacing the cable, the post on the solenoid broke, replaced the starter aasy. No change, same symptoms. Bypassed the ground cables, body / engine, using jumper cables, still no change. Took the battery to the store, they said it was bad, new battery, no changes. Putting a VOM, at the battery, and reading the dash voltmeter, turn the ignition switch to crank, the voltage on both meters, falls flat to -6 volts, like the engine / starter are locked up. Engine turns freely. Any IDEAS? What is the plastic box below the battery tray, that the + cable bolts to?

Last edited by traderbobs; June 2nd, 2018 at 8:45 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 7:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

When you put in the new battery, did work for a short while? Does it does this all the time or does it ever run normally?
Old June 3rd, 2018, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

This condition of acting like a low battery, had gotten progressively worse over the past month. It would act as if the battery was low, I would jump it, and it would start. I checked the charging system, and it read 14 vdc, at idle, with all the lights, and AC turned on. As of right now, it will not crank fast enough to start, (acts like a dead battery), even with my snap on commercial battery charger on high setting connected. The full battery current is not reaching the starter for some reason.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
CF Monarch

Do either of the battery cables get hot when trying to crank it for a while?
Old June 4th, 2018, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, Thanks for this idea, I never felt the cables, but it really does not "crank over", just the uhh-uhh of a low battery. I will try to check that tonite. Thanks traderbob
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:46 AM
CF Monarch

If the cables get hot it could mean bad cables or bad starter. I know you stated that you replaced the starter, but I have seen many parts bad out of the box.