Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   S-10 & Blazer (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/)
-   -   93 s10 4.3 hard start and stalling. Fuel injector issue?? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/93-s10-4-3-hard-start-stalling-fuel-injector-issue-72110/)

slicedpi April 14th, 2015 10:34 AM

93 s10 4.3 hard start and stalling. Fuel injector issue??

Hello everyone, new to the forums. I brought a 93 s10 back from the dead a couple years ago when I bought it from a friend and dropped a rebuilt motor into it. A few months after I bought it, it had an issue with one of the fuel injectors that would intermittently stop spraying. It would buck, and kick, and stutter, finally getting back to normal. I took off the TBI, took it apart cleaned it, replaced all the gaskets, and rebuilt it. I replaced all the premolded vacuum lines with hose, new pcv valve, and new connectors for the IAC valve and MAP sensor because the old connectors were corroded. I put new injectors in, but it would stall shortly after starting, so I put the old injectors back in.

Now to today. It had been running okay for a few weeks, it would have a rough, low idle but I could drive it. Then a few days ago it was just cranking until I gave it gas, then it would start but immediately stall. I changed the MAP sensor and IAC valve and it ran great for two days (after a few minutes of high idle right after changing those parts). Now it is doing the hard start and stalling again.

I looked at the injectors as it was doing this, and they are definitely dripping. And they continue to drip for a couple seconds after it stalls. Is this an issue with the injectors? Or could it be something else, maybe with the throttle body? What could be causing the extended cranking?

I made a video to better illustrate the issue:

Thanks in advance for any help!

tl;dr
93 vortec v6 extended cranking (hard start) and stalls immediately after turning over. Fuel injectors are dripping. Replaced MAP sensor, IAC valve, connectors, pcv valve, vacuum hoses, and cleaned/rebuilt the TBI. Where do I look from here? New injectors?

93s10man June 12th, 2023 8:56 PM

Originally Posted by slicedpi (Post 299662)
Hello everyone, new to the forums. I brought a 93 s10 back from the dead a couple years ago when I bought it from a friend and dropped a rebuilt motor into it. A few months after I bought it, it had an issue with one of the fuel injectors that would intermittently stop spraying. It would buck, and kick, and stutter, finally getting back to normal. I took off the TBI, took it apart cleaned it, replaced all the gaskets, and rebuilt it. I replaced all the premolded vacuum lines with hose, new pcv valve, and new connectors for the IAC valve and MAP sensor because the old connectors were corroded. I put new injectors in, but it would stall shortly after starting, so I put the old injectors back in.

Now to today. It had been running okay for a few weeks, it would have a rough, low idle but I could drive it. Then a few days ago it was just cranking until I gave it gas, then it would start but immediately stall. I changed the MAP sensor and IAC valve and it ran great for two days (after a few minutes of high idle right after changing those parts). Now it is doing the hard start and stalling again.

I looked at the injectors as it was doing this, and they are definitely dripping. And they continue to drip for a couple seconds after it stalls. Is this an issue with the injectors? Or could it be something else, maybe with the throttle body? What could be causing the extended cranking?

I made a video to better illustrate the issue: 93 Chevy S10 v6 hard start and stalling issues. - YouTube

tl;dr
93 vortec v6 extended cranking (hard start) and stalls immediately after turning over. Fuel injectors are dripping. Replaced MAP sensor, IAC valve, connectors, pcv valve, vacuum hoses, and cleaned/rebuilt the TBI. Where do I look from here? New injectors?

It is your fuel pressure regulator. Would not hurt to xhange your tps sensor also.

oilcanhenry June 13th, 2023 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by slicedpi (Post 299662)

I made a video to better illustrate the issue: 93 Chevy S10 v6 hard start and stalling issues. - YouTube

tl;dr

What is your fuel pressure? should be about 16 PSI. If you can find an OBD I scan-tool, I'd run that and see if anything shows up. After that, I'd reset the entire system.

Off topic but your Schrader valve cap is missing on your A/C receiver-dyer Keeps the dust out, and very cheap too.

Rednucleus June 13th, 2023 9:45 AM

Ummm, 8 year old thread!!