S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

93 s10 4.3 hard start and stalling. Fuel injector issue??

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 s10 4.3 hard start and stalling. Fuel injector issue??

Hello everyone, new to the forums. I brought a 93 s10 back from the dead a couple years ago when I bought it from a friend and dropped a rebuilt motor into it. A few months after I bought it, it had an issue with one of the fuel injectors that would intermittently stop spraying. It would buck, and kick, and stutter, finally getting back to normal. I took off the TBI, took it apart cleaned it, replaced all the gaskets, and rebuilt it. I replaced all the premolded vacuum lines with hose, new pcv valve, and new connectors for the IAC valve and MAP sensor because the old connectors were corroded. I put new injectors in, but it would stall shortly after starting, so I put the old injectors back in.

Now to today. It had been running okay for a few weeks, it would have a rough, low idle but I could drive it. Then a few days ago it was just cranking until I gave it gas, then it would start but immediately stall. I changed the MAP sensor and IAC valve and it ran great for two days (after a few minutes of high idle right after changing those parts). Now it is doing the hard start and stalling again.

I looked at the injectors as it was doing this, and they are definitely dripping. And they continue to drip for a couple seconds after it stalls. Is this an issue with the injectors? Or could it be something else, maybe with the throttle body? What could be causing the extended cranking?

I made a video to better illustrate the issue:

Thanks in advance for any help!

tl;dr
93 vortec v6 extended cranking (hard start) and stalls immediately after turning over. Fuel injectors are dripping. Replaced MAP sensor, IAC valve, connectors, pcv valve, vacuum hoses, and cleaned/rebuilt the TBI. Where do I look from here? New injectors?

Last edited by slicedpi; April 14th, 2015 at 1:17 PM.
Old June 12th, 2023, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slicedpi
Hello everyone, new to the forums. I brought a 93 s10 back from the dead a couple years ago when I bought it from a friend and dropped a rebuilt motor into it. A few months after I bought it, it had an issue with one of the fuel injectors that would intermittently stop spraying. It would buck, and kick, and stutter, finally getting back to normal. I took off the TBI, took it apart cleaned it, replaced all the gaskets, and rebuilt it. I replaced all the premolded vacuum lines with hose, new pcv valve, and new connectors for the IAC valve and MAP sensor because the old connectors were corroded. I put new injectors in, but it would stall shortly after starting, so I put the old injectors back in.

Now to today. It had been running okay for a few weeks, it would have a rough, low idle but I could drive it. Then a few days ago it was just cranking until I gave it gas, then it would start but immediately stall. I changed the MAP sensor and IAC valve and it ran great for two days (after a few minutes of high idle right after changing those parts). Now it is doing the hard start and stalling again.

I looked at the injectors as it was doing this, and they are definitely dripping. And they continue to drip for a couple seconds after it stalls. Is this an issue with the injectors? Or could it be something else, maybe with the throttle body? What could be causing the extended cranking?

I made a video to better illustrate the issue: 93 Chevy S10 v6 hard start and stalling issues. - YouTube

tl;dr
93 vortec v6 extended cranking (hard start) and stalls immediately after turning over. Fuel injectors are dripping. Replaced MAP sensor, IAC valve, connectors, pcv valve, vacuum hoses, and cleaned/rebuilt the TBI. Where do I look from here? New injectors?
It is your fuel pressure regulator. Would not hurt to xhange your tps sensor also.
Old June 13th, 2023, 12:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by slicedpi

I made a video to better illustrate the issue: 93 Chevy S10 v6 hard start and stalling issues. - YouTube

tl;dr
What is your fuel pressure? should be about 16 PSI. If you can find an OBD I scan-tool, I'd run that and see if anything shows up. After that, I'd reset the entire system.

Off topic but your Schrader valve cap is missing on your A/C receiver-dyer Keeps the dust out, and very cheap too.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 13th, 2023 at 12:41 AM.
Old June 13th, 2023, 9:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Ummm, 8 year old thread!!