S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Blazer shuts off when i push on brakes

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2007, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazer shuts off when i push on brakes

I stopped and got gas yesterday and when i left, looked down at the speedometer and it said i was going 90 to 100. it kept fluttering and moving back and forth between 90 an 100. i was going no more than 55-60 home. when i pushed on the brake pedal to slow down, the radio shut off, gauges quit and the engine started to shut off. i had to let off the brake so that it wouldn't shut all the way off. it did about 4 times within 1 minute while i turning into and driving through my subdivision. this is the first time it has done it to me in about 5 or 6 months. does anybody know what could be causing the problem and how to fix it? it is a 94 4WD 4 dr blazer thanks
Old October 3rd, 2007, 1:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Blazer shuts off when i push on brakes

hello, i don't know about the 90-100 but i would suggest two or three things to check, your description of slowing and shut down of motor- gauges-and so on could be 1- alternator going bad 2-dirty terminals or bad chassy ground 3-clogged fule filter, whitch starves the motor 4-low engine oil,
1994 to 2004 have a sensore that shuts down the motor if oil is to low to protect it from damage.
im no pro, i have diy experiance hope this helps out.
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Hey just my opinion but I agree with sickvortech1, I think it could be what he mentionedbut I tend to lean toward the electrical side of things. Ihave a 99 Blazer 4x4 and when my alternator went it started for like a week actin really weird (drivindown the road and the radio would quit then it would come back on and the gauge went down tonothinthen would come back up really fast like a powerjolt so to speak). Mine to did this months before I had a problem that totally put me out of comission tillI got itfixed.It could verybe the chassis ground you know like contacting then not (inconsistant current). Just be carefull when my alternator finally went out mine didn't lock up it just quit charging the battery and I was coming home from work at like 2:30 am and my truck died in the middle of nowhere at a stop sign. My suggestion is to go to an O'riellys or an auto and have them test your battery first (which I don't think it is but never hurts to check) and then scan your truck and pull off some codes and then you can search on the net for a site that decodes the codes (tells you what they mean) for your truck. Oh and have the alternator checked. Also tighten the grounding strap. As far as the engine dying when the brakes applied kinda says low vacuum (leak in a vacuum line) though. I not really sure on this the thing I can help with is the electrical issue since that what I am most familiar with. Man this tuff and I am just trying to help. There is like four different direction in my mind this is goin and since I can look at the truck myself, at this point I just offering ideas.
Man I sure hope that this helps. Like I said I am betin on the electrical side of things for some of it.Zach
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

I would also look int having the security system reset, at leas that is what the dealer told me they did when I had a similar problem in 00 blazer, if it has ths security system