Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   S-10 & Blazer (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/)
-   -   Cylinder Heads (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/cylinder-heads-94054/)

Lucn920 January 29th, 2019 8:15 AM

Cylinder Heads

I recently bought a 99 Blazer that was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders so I opened up the engine and one of the heads is cracked. The problem is there was some shady mechanics going on and it has two different heads with different style rockers. I searched forever and couldnt find which one my truck is actually supposed to have on it. Does anyone know the difference between heads with the casting numbers 113 and 114? Or if I need screw in rocker studs or bolt down rockers? Thanks in advance.

oilcanhenry January 30th, 2019 4:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lucn920 (Post 369958)
I recently bought a 99 Blazer that was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders so I opened up the engine and one of the heads is cracked. The problem is there was some shady mechanics going on and it has two different heads with different style rockers. I searched forever and couldnt find which one my truck is actually supposed to have on it. Does anyone know the difference between heads with the casting numbers 113 and 114? Or if I need screw in rocker studs or bolt down rockers? Thanks in advance.

Engine size?

SBchevyfan February 8th, 2019 2:52 PM

Two heads so it's a 4.3. Have you located the casting number on the block for reference?

Lucn920 February 11th, 2019 7:26 AM

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan (Post 370402)
Two heads so it's a 4.3. Have you located the casting number on the block for reference?

Yep im pretty sure the only option for the blazers was the 4.3, but I've got it all figured out now. There is are a few different casting numbers for the heads. One of mine was 113 with bolt down rockers and the other was the 772 with ball and stud rockers. It was the 772 head that had huge crack in it and the other one was still good. I got a remanufactured 113 head to match the good one as well as a set of roller rockers and pushrods (theyre different lengths for different types of rockers) to match the other side. Just gotta finish putting it all back together and hopefully she'll be all good.

oilcanhenry February 11th, 2019 7:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lucn920 (Post 370508)
Yep im pretty sure the only option for the blazers was the 4.3, but I've got it all figured out now. There is are a few different casting numbers for the heads. One of mine was 113 with bolt down rockers and the other was the 772 with ball and stud rockers. It was the 772 head that had huge crack in it and the other one was still good. I got a remanufactured 113 head to match the good one as well as a set of roller rockers and pushrods (theyre different lengths for different types of rockers) to match the other side. Just gotta finish putting it all back together and hopefully she'll be all good.

Glad that you have this issue solved, Lucn920. I hate it when people do shoddy work, like the previous owner apparently did.

Lucn920 February 11th, 2019 9:26 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 370512)
Glad that you have this issue solved, Lucn920. I hate it when people do shoddy work, like the previous owner apparently did.

Thanks! and dont even get me started on that lol. I had to get new oil cooler lines too cuz those things are supposed to be crimped and someone had cut it (god knows why) and then slipped a hose over it and put a hose clamp on there. It was only a matter of time before that thing blew and I lost all my oil so thank god we noticed that.