S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Engine Overhaul WAAHOO!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2008, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Overhaul WAAHOO!!!!!!!!!

I had previously posted how crappy the truck was running so after finding low compression and fuel getting into the oil, I have finally begun to tear the thing down and do a re-ring and gaskets, redo the head, etc. This truck is a 1995 S-10 2.2 and after last night I have removed the head and now wondering?????????????????????

Do I have to remove the block to do the rings or is there enough room to work on it in the truck by lifting the engine enough to the pan off? If I do have to pull the block I well do the clutch and main seal, but if I can get away with it this time I will do the clutch later.

Has anyone done this before without removing the engine?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Engine Overhaul WAAHOO!!!!!!!!!

You will need to pull the motor.Might as well get it all at once.
To gain access to the piston rings you have to remove the oil pan,oil pump,and remove the crank or the bearing caps to slide the pistons out and hone the cylinders.When you get into the lower half it's a little more complicated.
Might as well replace everything.
Personally,I would go buy a rebuiltwith warranty.There's not that much difference in price and saves you the headache.[sm=signs003.gif]
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Engine Overhaul WAAHOO!!!!!!!!!

That is what I kind of figured. Well, that means I will do the clutch at the same time and main seal. Maybe my oil leak will stop now. Thanks for the response.
Old November 12th, 2008, 5:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Engine Overhaul WAAHOO UPDATE

UPDATE!!!!!

Well the engine was pulled about two weeks ago and all new bearings and rings were installed. The engine had no wear at all. The bearings looked great, the cylinder walls looked great, but the rings were definitely wore out. Its was very educational with my Dad's help, where as he has done many of these before. When we got into the clutchwe foundhardly anypilot bearing left. It was paper thin. Also the clutch plate was very loose and little pad left. It was great that we were able to do it all. The engine is back in and cleaned up. Tonight I pull the fuse as suggested in the book so I can get the oil presssure up before allowing fuel to the rail. I put on the new serpentine belt and fire her up. New oil and coolant has been added. The best part - the only parts I have left over are the old head bolts, clutch and pressure plate, and all the gaskets that were replaced. A very good feeling. This feeling will be even greater if this thing starts up and runs like it should.

Wish me luck. Thanks to all who replied to the post.