S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Hesitation and misfire in cylinder #4

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2021, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might be able to determine that with a vacuum gauge (seems like no one uses those anymore), unless that's the gauge the mechanic used. Yeah, the distributor bearing going out is something I've never seen before, but sure, it could do this. You learn something new every day in life. Might have a small intake manifold leak. I've seen people actually spray gasoline on the manifold to test for leaks, but something less flammable, like WD-40 would work as well, IME.

I've heard of people using different substances to clean a catalytic converter out, like Methanol or Acetone (don't use without gloves and a filtered face mask as these can go right into your body though the skin), but I've never seen it done for myself, so who knows?.
UPDATE 3

So unfortunately the cat is clogged. The distributor was definitely the cause of the misfire but the sputtering (my main issue) was caused by all the back pressure from the cat. My mechanic said it was like trying to breathe while being strangled. He tested it without the upstream o2 sensors and said it ripped. We’re going to flex pipe it temporarily until I can afford a new cat. This Sunday I’ll be helping him install the new distributor.
Old January 16th, 2021, 4:24 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by zadigofla
UPDATE 3

So unfortunately the cat is clogged. The distributor was definitely the cause of the misfire but the sputtering (my main issue) was caused by all the back pressure from the cat. My mechanic said it was like trying to breathe while being strangled. He tested it without the upstream o2 sensors and said it ripped. We’re going to flex pipe it temporarily until I can afford a new cat. This Sunday I’ll be helping him install the new distributor.
Yeah, Cats are not cheap with the platinum, palladium and rhodium metals used in their manufacture. Thankfully they don't use Gold, ain't it?

As to cleaning it, is your vehicle burning much oil? You don't want that Cat clogging up again. Sometimes, oil consumption can be lowered with a new set of valve seals, as they do get hardened with time and mileage and can let too much motor oil into the cylinders.