S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Just bought a truck need some help....

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a truck need some help....

I just purchased a 1999 Chevy S10 Xtreme 4cyl auto for a work truck. It has about 94k miles on it. Now for the problem.... It seems that the truck is not going into 1st gear, it is extremly slow of the line and I think the culprit is that it only goes in 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive gear. The other thing I tried is to put it in LOW and change to 2nd, however it still stays in 2nd no 1st. The tranny shiifts smoothly no problems through the other gears. Any Ideas? Thoughts? I also have a cluncking ound when bracking hard or turning the wheel sometimes. TIA for the help!!!
Old May 4th, 2006, 1:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Just bought a truck need some help....

i would change the tranny fluid and see if there are any metal shavings in the pan. it sounds like you have eather droped a gear or the kick down on the tranny isnt working. as for the clunking it may be a ball joint going bad on you. hope this helps.
Old May 5th, 2006, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Upper? Lower? Which one's? Sorry new to the domestic scene.... Appreciate the help.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
CF Senior Member

cant be sure of that you would have to jack the truck up to look under it. when you take the tire off look to see if the ball joints are bolted on or rivited. bolted on means theve been replaced at some point.if they are rivited it means they have been on the truck since new and are probly ready to be replaced anyway. before you take the tire off grab it from the top and botom and wigle it back and forth to see if you here that same noise.