S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift kit?

i have a 1990 chevy s10 4x4 and i want to put on a decent lift for muddi and 4wheelin so im lookin for a lift thats around 6" or so and i want to put on Super Swamper TSL 38x12.50-16.5LTand this is my first truck so i dont know much so i just need some help finding a good lift kit and if anyone has suggestions for tires thats helpful too thanks!![/align]
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: lift kit?

i mean "muddin" sorry[/align]
Old July 17th, 2008, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

There are several ways to lift based on budget and ride expectations.

on my 99 blazer, I tired 2 ways.
1st - cheap bought some blocks for the rear springs, and cranked some tortion bars. low cost, but Horrible ride. ok for pure offroading, but day-to-day driving stiff and hurtfull.... also only got 3-4" lift.
2nd attempt - narrowed down to rancho 5" or chevy/trailmaster 7" costs (about 8 years ago) racho $1,200 and Trailmaster $3000 I went with the trailmaster and was happy with it and retained full warranty.

pictw/ trailmaster installed
Name:  blazer.jpg
Views: 4431
Size:  27.5 KB

I don't have current costing or options, but you can go on-line or call any local 4x4 custom shop to get options and price. I don't recomend the cheapest (block) route, not much gain and you give all comfort up.

good luck

as for tires, I was always happy with BFG's but didn't get to deep into the muddies....

on my merc, I run V ratede Toyo Proxy M/S more of a freeway tire but has some tread patern for basic awd mud/snow (normal condition) not mud boggin' I have heard good things on scorpions.
Old July 17th, 2008, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

thanks i found a 5" trailmaster its 83-00 S-Series Pickup 4WD
5" Suspension Lift Kit http://www.jackit.com/chevy/pickups/s-series.htm#5inchso it be cool if u could look at that for me maybe and let me know if its good or junk to help me out its my first truck just got it and these are the tires http://www.jbccoffroad.com/suswtsl.htmland thanks alot =)
Old July 17th, 2008, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

and im lookin to put 38" tires on
Old July 17th, 2008, 6:43 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: biggerthebetter

thanks i found a 5" trailmaster its 83-00 S-Series Pickup 4WD
5" Suspension Lift Kit http://www.jackit.com/chevy/pickups/s-series.htm#5inchso it be cool if u could look at that for me maybe and let me know if its good or junk to help me out its my first truck just got it and these are the tires http://www.jbccoffroad.com/suswtsl.htmland thanks alot =)
Reading your link, it actuall states its a trailmaster kit (although it was not clear if it is CHEVY trailmaster (tm) ) or they just call it trailmaster. one KEY thing is make sure you read the part regarding proper shocks/struts required to properly lift s15 - I would double check that for your s10, because the 7" did require new shocks/struts and I did the bushings as well.... hence the double cost, I was also concerned at such a high lift the angle of drive shafts did cause a 3-5 mph shimmy that was resolved with break in and a small coupler to help the angle increased. you probably don't need to worry about that with the 5"

so in summary if you confirm its a true chevy/trailmaster for the deluxe (including bushings etc) for ~$1,300 I think that is fair. and shoul dbe better then a racho or non OEM kit. absolutle better then block or spring mod only...

Those TSL's look good but not familiar with performance of them, on my photo I was only running 33"'s on 17" rims, but could have gone much bigger.....
Old July 17th, 2008, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

thanks ur were a great help =)
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

I forgot to mention 1 more option..

upgrade to a mercedes, LOL.I got the one with 4-matic air suspension that gives me 5" travel on the fly (push a button and 20 seconds later I am riding 5" higher) I acutally lowered the set point 40mm to tuck in my 22"'s but still have the full range lift available.

a few shots

picture of it sitting for city/hwy.... with new rims
Name:  ML63-sig.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  50.1 KB

Picture in 'lifted mod" this one has the 20" OEM rims. but you can see the wheel well variance.

Name:  ML7.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  100.5 KB

Only real negative, is my monthly payment is closer to your 1 time lift costs[:'(] LOL