S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Monitor Reset Qs

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2015, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monitor Reset Qs

96 4 cyl and foolishly disconnected the battery cable during a brake booster replacement. The computer Monitors need to be reset, and all but a few have stopped flashing on my scanner.

I drove the car about 38 (mostly freeway) miles round trip with stops along the way. The intermediate stop at about 19 miles was left to rest for a few hours to let the system cool off. The drive home was also direct with little traffic. (Don't judge me, we have plenty of traffic here, but I just got lucky today!) I thought that would be enough to reset the monitors, but it wasn't.

I looked at the reset procedure posted earlier (the one that has all the "idle the engine for two and a half minutes" stuff) and couldn't help think that there must be an easier way to do this. Seriously, I don't think anyone could follow the "official" procedure without a Dynomometer to get the job done, and I doubt that many small town dealers can do this, too.

My C (Catalyst), E (EGR), EV (evap) monitors still need to reset, even after my recent drive. Any help beyond the "Start from cold, Idle for 2.5 minutes, run from there to 55 mph AT HALF THROTTLE for THREE MINUTES... " Who can do that on your test roads?

TIA for your rants and insights.
Old October 27th, 2015, 7:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

for most models, the fuel level must be between 1/4 and 3/4 to run the evap monitor.
Old October 27th, 2015, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
for most models, the fuel level must be between 1/4 and 3/4 to run the evap monitor.
Bummer! The day I did the drive, the tank was almost empty. So my first stop was to fill it up and continue the day. Guess I'll have to siphon some out to reset that one.

Any ideas why the Cat and EGR monitors didn't reset? I drove about 20 miles, mostly highway, parked and went off for 2.5 hours. Drove back the same route but with a little city traffic near the end. Should I jack up the rear of the truck and run through the official procedure or is this futile if the system isn't under real load?

Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2015, 9:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

not sure on that.

if you know anyone who has a subscription to identifix....they usually post really good criteria for running the monitors.