S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

motor conversions

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor conversions

im workin on my 1996 S10 tryin to put a 350 in it im open for any suggestions and would like to kno a little more about the installation process
Old February 5th, 2008, 3:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: motor conversions

Here something I found in an article.

[quote]

-----------------------------2.2 L EFI>>>>>> 350 V8 EFI------------------
Now Ill start off with you 2.2 guys, since you're struggling for power the most. First of all, the swap of a 2.2 requires a lot of time and patience. To make this easier, I'm doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there's no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carburated to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.
Ok, now lets start.
THESE PARTS *NEED* TO BE REMOVED-
Engine
Tranny
Radiator
Harness
Computer
THESE PARTS STAY-
Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes
THESE PARTS WILL BE *NEEDED* -
350 Engine (COMPLETE - IE Alternator, Intake, Fuel Injection unit, ect)
Engine mount adaptors (See links at bottom of thread)
Headers (See links at bottom of thread)
Tranny
Computer
Harness
Radiator
Electric FANS
*** Note, when buying parts, keep in mind what engine you have. Make sure that your harness will work with the engine, the computer is for a Standard/Auto tranny ECT. Make sure everything's right before you dig in****
PARTS THAT CAN BE USED FROM A 2.2, BUT RECOMMEND REPLACING -
Coolant over flow tank
Washer fluid tank
Drive shaft (will need to be modified if you keep it)
Rear End
Ok. That's the gist of it. Like I said, there's A LOT of work involved in it for a 2.2>350. If you have it hired out, expect an easy $3k labor bill, On top of the parts costs.
(Remember you can always ebay that 2.2 and parts as well to make a little income back, some people like all Show no go )

INSTALLING -
If you're doing it yourself, get a manual from the links at the bottom of the page, and read up. Common engine knowledge helps, (IE what's where for what purpose) oh yeah, and you need to be able to turn a ratchet . Basically, Run the Harness and computer first. It will go in the same way the old one came out. Your probably going to have to have a custom harness made for some things like gauges and stuff. The Manual at the bottom will tell you all about that. But once the harness is run and installed with the Computer, then you should mount the tranny. This is where the drive shaft modification comes in, depending on what tranny you got, it will prob. have to be shortened. I recommend a new drive shaft, even though the old one IS possible, for a couple of reasons. A) I new one will be stronger, and will fit properly. B) It will save you time of replacing the old one down the road if it does break. You have a 350 now, so your going to want to go fast, that skinny pipe isn't going to hold up to too much. Once the tranny is in, drop in the big bad 350. A lot of people ask about front spring suspension, I went from 4.3 > 350 with no change in height, 2.2 springs maybe weaker (but at least it will look lower). Once the engine is in, plug it all in, run coolant lines, etc. Put the new Corvette Radiator in, or whatever new radiator you got for the v8 application. May need some custom mountings, but nothing too bad. And then, hook up your electric fans. I HIGHLY recommend dual 14" fans in FRONT of the core support. Mine work WONDERS and with just a little back notching of a plastic easy to get at grill instead of messing with the firewall to get one between the Radiator/engine. Now except for a few odds and ends, that will pretty much cover it.

---------------------------4.3 TBI to 350 TBI----------------------------------
To make this easier, I'm doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there's no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carbureted to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.
Your job is A LOT simpler in most cases. But don't let that fool you, its still a chore to do.
If you have a 4.3EFI from 87-93 TBI and you get a V8 from that same time frame that's TBI, you have little or no wiring issues. Everything that plugs into the 4.3, will plug into the 350. When we did mine, we used everything from the 4.3 on the 350, including Throttle Body, Power steering, Water pump, Harness, and computer. But if you have a vortec, and are switching out, you need to pull harness and computer, and you need a complete 350, as most parts wont transfer. So with that in mind, here are the parts lists -
Engine.
(If 94+ vortec to any other 350, Harness and Computer)
THESE PARTS STAY-
Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes
Tranny
Drive train
Radiator (pull it to remove/install the engines though)
PARTS that will be *NEEDED* -
Engine
Engine mounts (See links at bottom of thread)
Electric fans
Harness and computer (if 94+ swap)
***NOTE, when purchasing harness/computer or having a harness made, make SURE it's for the proper Tranny and dash setup!!! Hate to plug it in, and not have it work!!! ****
Basically, its the same install path as the 2.2. Get your harness in, and computer, install the new engine mounts, then drop the engine in, plug it in, and install the headers. Put the radiator back in. Once again, I recommend the fans in front of the Core support. Get in and test it out. etc.
****For Both Installations- If you want the fan in FRONT of the V8, and behind the core support, you need to shorten the drive shaft, scoot the tranny back, pound some room on the firewall for engine tabs, and distributor clearance, and slide it all back on the Engine mount adaptors. Keep in mind, that makes it extremely hard to do menial tasks/tune ups, such as replacing spark plugs, installing new wires, and running the exhaust. ****

Now this was just a ROUGH sketch of a swap, and it answers most questions, with a few recommendations. Here are the links for the manuals, and parts -

www.jagsthatrun.com
www.advanceadaptors.com

Old November 19th, 2008, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: motor conversions

[quote]ORIGINAL: EvansBlue

Here something I found in an article.

-2.2 L EFI>>>>>> 350 V8 EFI
Now Ill start off with you 2.2 guys, since you're struggling for power the most. First of all, the swap of a 2.2 requires a lot of time and patience. To make this easier, I'm doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there's no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carburated to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.
Ok, now lets start.
Engine
Tranny
Radiator
Harness
Replacement Cover
Computer
THESE PARTS STAY-
Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes
THESE PARTS WILL BE *NEEDED* -
350 Engine (COMPLETE - IE Alternator, Intake, Fuel Injection unit, ect)
Engine mount adaptors (See links at bottom of thread)
Tranny
Computer
Harness
Radiator
Electric FANS
*** Note, when buying parts, keep in mind what engine you have. Make sure that your harness will work with the engine, the computer is for a Standard/Auto tranny ECT. Make sure everything's right before you dig in****
PARTS THAT CAN BE USED FROM A 2.2, BUT RECOMMEND REPLACING -
Coolant over flow tank
Washer fluid tank
Drive shaft (will need to be modified if you keep it)
Rear End
Ok. That's the gist of it. Like I said, there's A LOT of work involved in it for a 2.2>350. If you have it hired out, expect an easy $3k labor bill, On top of the parts costs.
(Remember you can always ebay that 2.2 and parts as well to make a little income back, some people like all Show no go )

INSTALLING -
If you're doing it yourself, get a manual from the links at the bottom of the page, and read up. Common engine knowledge helps, (IE what's where for what purpose) oh yeah, and you need to be able to turn a ratchet . Basically, Run the Harness and computer first. It will go in the same way the old one came out. Your probably going to have to have a custom harness made for some things like gauges and stuff. The Manual at the bottom will tell you all about that. But once the harness is run and installed with the Computer, then you should mount the tranny. This is where the drive shaft modification comes in, depending on what tranny you got, it will prob. have to be shortened. I recommend a new drive shaft, even though the old one IS possible, for a couple of reasons. A) I new one will be stronger, and will fit properly. B) It will save you time of replacing the old one down the road if it does break. You have a 350 now, so your going to want to go fast, that skinny pipe isn't going to hold up to too much. Once the tranny is in, drop in the big bad 350. A lot of people ask about front spring suspension, I went from 4.3 > 350 with no change in height, 2.2 springs maybe weaker (but at least it will look lower). Once the engine is in, plug it all in, run coolant lines, etc. Put the new Corvette Radiator in, or whatever new radiator you got for the v8 application. May need some custom mountings, but nothing too bad. And then, hook up your electric fans. I HIGHLY recommend dual 14" fans in FRONT of the core support. Mine work WONDERS and with just a little back notching of a plastic easy to get at grill instead of messing with the firewall to get one between the Radiator/engine. Now except for a few odds and ends, that will pretty much cover it.

-4.3 TBI to 350 TBI
To make this easier, I'm doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there's no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carbureted to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.
Your job is A LOT simpler in most cases. But don't let that fool you, its still a chore to do.
If you have a 4.3EFI from 87-93 TBI and you get a V8 from that same time frame that's TBI, you have little or no wiring issues. Everything that plugs into the 4.3, will plug into the 350. When we did mine, we used everything from the 4.3 on the 350, including Throttle Body, Power steering, Water pump, Harness, and computer. But if you have a vortec, and are switching out, you need to pull harness and computer, and you need a complete 350, as most parts wont transfer. So with that in mind, here are the parts lists -
Engine.
(If 94+ vortec to any other 350, Harness and Computer)
THESE PARTS STAY-
Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes
Tranny
Drive train
Radiator (pull it to remove/install the engines though)
PARTS that will be *NEEDED* -
Engine
Engine mounts (See links at bottom of thread)
Electric fans
Harness and computer (if 94+ swap)
***NOTE, when purchasing harness/computer or having a harness made, make SURE it's for the proper Tranny and dash setup!!! Hate to plug it in, and not have it work!!! ****
Basically, its the same install path as the 2.2. Get your harness in, and computer, install the new engine mounts, then drop the engine in, plug it in, and install the headers. Put the radiator back in. Once again, I recommend the fans in front of the Core support. Get in and test it out. etc.
****For Both Installations- If you want the fan in FRONT of the V8, and behind the core support, you need to shorten the drive shaft, scoot the tranny back, pound some room on the firewall for engine tabs, and distributor clearance, and slide it all back on the Engine mount adaptors. Keep in mind, that makes it extremely hard to do menial tasks/tune ups, such as replacing spark plugs, installing new wires, and running the exhaust. ****

Now this was just a ROUGH sketch of a swap, and it answers most questions, with a few recommendations. Here are the links for the manuals, and parts -

www.jagsthatrun.com
www.advanceadaptors.com

Thanks for this info. I am trying to do it with my friend's 2.2. Actually I'm not a pro when it comes to swapping and modifications but I'll try to absorb what I can with this article.