Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   S-10 & Blazer (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/)
-   -   Need Help !!!! 83 S-10 2.8 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/s-10-blazer-20/need-help-83-s-10-2-8-a-24489/)

Kalispellbob July 17th, 2009 10:42 AM

Need Help !!!! 83 S-10 2.8

I have a problem with my s-10. It has a 2.8 engine carburated. It seems every know an then it will cut out. I sit there for a minute or two it starts right up again. What causes vapor lock and how do you cure it any help will be great. Just did a complete tune up on it. Plugs, wires, new cap, fuel filter, spark plugs. Thanx Bob

far2grumpy July 21st, 2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kalispellbob (Post 105952)
I have a problem with my s-10. It has a 2.8 engine carburated. It seems every know an then it will cut out. I sit there for a minute or two it starts right up again. What causes vapor lock and how do you cure it any help will be great. Just did a complete tune up on it. Plugs, wires, new cap, fuel filter, spark plugs. Thanx Bob

Bob ... when engine "cuts out" does it die like you turned ignition off ... or does it stumble, gasp and wheeze like you ran out of gas?

Did it cut-out before you replaced the parts?

You mention vapor-lock ... are the fuel lines routed near the exhaust system at any point between tank and fuel pump and fuel pump and carb?

Does this truck have a pressure gas cap?
Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?
Have you checked fuel pump pressure?
Have you checked carb float level?
Can you dump "dry-gas" in fuel tank in case fuel is contaminated?

Kalispellbob July 21st, 2009 1:43 PM

yes it did cut out before i changed parts. As for gas line it is routed from fuel pump on drivers sde of engine and they have line going right across top of engine to back of carb you think i should insulate line that is on top of engine. i bought a vented gas cap for it also. truck has mechanical pump. have not checked fuel pressure yet i guess that is next. Bob also when it shuts off it sounds like it runs out of gas and i wait about ten minutes and it will crank up again it has me baffled. i also put some dry gas in also

Turn this car around July 21st, 2009 6:48 PM

You should get the air cleaner ready to be pulled off right away after it shuts down.So that the next time it happens your ready.Have a flash light with you to.When it stops pull the air cleaner take your flash light look in throat of carb and pump the throttle .See if you see fuel discharge. Do you always have to wait before it will start up for you again? I need to know about the fuel before going on.

far2grumpy July 21st, 2009 7:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turn this car around (Post 106384)
You should get the air cleaner ready to be pulled off right away after it shuts down.So that the next time it happens your ready.Have a flash light with you to.When it stops pull the air cleaner take your flash light look in throat of carb and pump the throttle .See if you see fuel discharge. Do you always have to wait before it will start up for you again? I need to know about the fuel before going on.

TTCA makes a good point ... if the accelerator pump can't draw fuel right after the engine stops, its probably fuel starvation.

If fuel does squirt into venturi theres another gremlin in the mix - probably electrical.

Kalispellbob July 21st, 2009 8:15 PM

thanks i will check next time it happens then post findings thanks Bob