S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Need Help !!!! 83 S-10 2.8

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help !!!! 83 S-10 2.8

I have a problem with my s-10. It has a 2.8 engine carburated. It seems every know an then it will cut out. I sit there for a minute or two it starts right up again. What causes vapor lock and how do you cure it any help will be great. Just did a complete tune up on it. Plugs, wires, new cap, fuel filter, spark plugs. Thanx Bob
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kalispellbob
I have a problem with my s-10. It has a 2.8 engine carburated. It seems every know an then it will cut out. I sit there for a minute or two it starts right up again. What causes vapor lock and how do you cure it any help will be great. Just did a complete tune up on it. Plugs, wires, new cap, fuel filter, spark plugs. Thanx Bob
Bob ... when engine "cuts out" does it die like you turned ignition off ... or does it stumble, gasp and wheeze like you ran out of gas?

Did it cut-out before you replaced the parts?

You mention vapor-lock ... are the fuel lines routed near the exhaust system at any point between tank and fuel pump and fuel pump and carb?

Does this truck have a pressure gas cap?
Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?
Have you checked fuel pump pressure?
Have you checked carb float level?
Can you dump "dry-gas" in fuel tank in case fuel is contaminated?
Old July 21st, 2009, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

yes it did cut out before i changed parts. As for gas line it is routed from fuel pump on drivers sde of engine and they have line going right across top of engine to back of carb you think i should insulate line that is on top of engine. i bought a vented gas cap for it also. truck has mechanical pump. have not checked fuel pressure yet i guess that is next. Bob also when it shuts off it sounds like it runs out of gas and i wait about ten minutes and it will crank up again it has me baffled. i also put some dry gas in also

Last edited by Kalispellbob; July 21st, 2009 at 2:00 PM.
Old July 21st, 2009, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

You should get the air cleaner ready to be pulled off right away after it shuts down.So that the next time it happens your ready.Have a flash light with you to.When it stops pull the air cleaner take your flash light look in throat of carb and pump the throttle .See if you see fuel discharge. Do you always have to wait before it will start up for you again? I need to know about the fuel before going on.
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Turn this car around
You should get the air cleaner ready to be pulled off right away after it shuts down.So that the next time it happens your ready.Have a flash light with you to.When it stops pull the air cleaner take your flash light look in throat of carb and pump the throttle .See if you see fuel discharge. Do you always have to wait before it will start up for you again? I need to know about the fuel before going on.
TTCA makes a good point ... if the accelerator pump can't draw fuel right after the engine stops, its probably fuel starvation.

If fuel does squirt into venturi theres another gremlin in the mix - probably electrical.
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

thanks i will check next time it happens then post findings thanks Bob