S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

S10 Engine RPMs not dropping

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2021, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10 Engine RPMs not dropping

2000 S10 2.2L 5 speed. I just replaced the Flex Fuel Composition Sensor after researching the engine codes and that fixed the bucking problem... now have a couple of new ones...

1. when shifting the RPMs do not drop and can take 4-5 seconds to drop.... also if in a higher gear, when the clutch is pushed in the RPMs will climb,, I have to let off the gas and then wait for a second or two before pushing the clutch in... The gas pedal is not sticking and comes back to the top quickly

Edit: seems to only do it when up to temperature... also I do have an exhaust gasket leak...

2. now while sitting at a stoplight the engine is chugging a little... which makes the truck rock from side to side... not like a roller coaster just a lazy rock back and forth...

if anyone has any ideas what this might be thanks in advance

Last edited by jtinker101; May 15th, 2021 at 5:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 16th, 2021, 9:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jtinker101
2000 S10 2.2L 5 speed. I just replaced the Flex Fuel Composition Sensor after researching the engine codes and that fixed the bucking problem... now have a couple of new ones...

1. when shifting the RPMs do not drop and can take 4-5 seconds to drop.... also if in a higher gear, when the clutch is pushed in the RPMs will climb,, I have to let off the gas and then wait for a second or two before pushing the clutch in... The gas pedal is not sticking and comes back to the top quickly

Edit: seems to only do it when up to temperature... also I do have an exhaust gasket leak...

2. now while sitting at a stoplight the engine is chugging a little... which makes the truck rock from side to side... not like a roller coaster just a lazy rock back and forth...

if anyone has any ideas what this might be thanks in advance
It doesn't matter how fast your gas pedal comes back as the T-B is fly-by-wire, not a mechanical linkage like the older vehicles. You might just have a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
Old December 14th, 2022, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new update on my 2000 chevy s10...2.2l 5 speed 166k miiles that has had the rpm problem for a while

one of my main problems was that the catalytic converter was completely stopped up.... so poked that out...

my original problem is still persistent... I have changed the flex-fuel sensor, I also changed the throttle position sensor, the Idle air control valve, I understand it does not have a MAS sensor,(according to all the parts stores here in town) have not changed the MAP sensor yet...

problem: when the engine is cold the truck shifts perfectly, rpms come down immediately when the clutch is pushed in... when up to temp, if I rev to 2500 rpms or more, before a shift, the rpms will stay at that rpm and not drop when the clutch is pushed in, or even climb higher by 200-300 rpms..

has anyone had this problem and fixed it?? thanks in advance