S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

spark issue

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010 | 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default spark issue

I had to replace my radiator b/c it cracked. i figured i would replace my intake gasket b/c it was leaking which is typical for the 4.3L engines. btw i have a '99 Chev s-10 2wd long box. I just put in a new cap and rotor. New plugs and wires. i took to a local tech and he adv there's a dead miss in cylinder #6. thought the plugs and wires would fix problem. no luck.
i can do lots of repairs my self but the hard part is figuring out what the problem is. tech thought either cap/rotor bad again? i took off and didn't look bad, like the others did when i had to replace. otherswise, injector may be plugged? not sure how this correlates to weak spark/no spark. truck idles really rough. i took off plug wire while running and basically ran same. all/any thought are appreciated, thanks
Old June 28th, 2010 | 2:37 PM
CF Junior Member

you can check spark one of two ways: get an inline spark checker or ground the plug on the side of the block(have someone behind the wheel to start and kill engine quickly) that should give you an indication of strength of spark
You can get an inline spark checker pretty cheap from harbor freight tools if there is one close