S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Weird fuel pump, help? :)

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2009, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird fuel pump, help? :)

Hi there everyone. I just purchased an S10 from my buddy and it has a bad fuel pump, as stated by him from the GM repair dude. it does start, but he says it dies unexpectedly. Ill take his word for it and replace it, which I have started to do with much enthusiaism. All was going well until i cleaned off all the dirt and crap off of the pump and saw it did not have a familiar compession ring with tabs and skrewdriver marks all over it, but a huge, huge C clip, you know the kind, with the little holes in the end of them? aparently holding in the pump. well we all know how to deal with this, pry the damn thing off and pull the pump. BUT! the pump will not come out. it will move up a little with a great deal of force from the screwdriver but i can tell all im doing is compressing the gasket and not moving it up any, and it pops down as soon as i let go. that tells me there is somthing on the under side of the pump holding it in, like clips or a plastic nut the same diameter as the pump body (i know this sounds rediculous, but what else could it be???) it will not twist out either, as there is a tab on the pump that indexes with the ring spot welded to the tank. what the F***!!!!!! this thing is beyond my narrow scope of experience and no other forum or diy or how to talks about this kind of tank and pump set up. Has anyone else seen this and pulled the pump without resorting to redneck reasoning? (someone suggested cutting it out, deffiately not. ) (excuse spelling, please)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is the truck? What size is the engine. Sounds like you are describing a capsule unit in which case the pump is not replaceable separately. You need to replace the entire in tank unit. Can you post pictures?
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. this is the issue. the pump was installed in the tankthe same day the truck was built. the giant O ring was hella stuck. it took a big screwdriver and more force than i was willing to apply to the pump to get it out, which a trusted mechanic did like 5 seconds for free. I feel dumb now, but better that than prying on it and busting the plastic. i have since pulled the entire thing apart and ordered a new pump motor. ROCK!!! thanks for the offer to help, though. peace.

BTW onlyfuelpumps on ebay seem like good guys, i ordered a pump from them and will be trying it out. let me know if you would like to know how it works. later.