Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

Blazer- New audio stuff

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow Blazer- New audio stuff

I got some some speakers for Christmas and finally found a place to put them. I was going to put them in the Silverado to replace the busted ones in the back, but then I found the stockers for it, so I ended up with a pair of 4x6s that I couldn't use. Well.. I found a use for them.

I stuck them in the rear gate and wired them straight to the head. Might go back later and add a motorcycle amp and bring it down front he head with RCAs, but right now they are just pumping around 26 of 35 RMS The rest is amped by the BOSE
The max for them is 160.
I'm going to find a couple of grilles to put over them soon so they dont get banged up by cargo.

I also bought a pair of 6.5" speakers for the back doors, so I'll post pictures when I get them retrofitted into the door panels.

Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0029.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  37.3 KB

And yes I know Sony is typically sub-par equipment, but I couldn't tell a dimes worth of difference between these and Kenwoods. They are surprisingly clear when matched up to a Sony head.

This will be a hit at parties
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty nice. what kind of subs are you pushin? jw. saw the box. lol. blazer was my first car. how long did it take you to wire those up?
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
CF Monarch

I'm running MTX Road Thunders in a dual vented box. I'm currently looking to replace one of them because of a slight rattle from pumping them too hard in the sealed box I used to have.

It didn't take me long to wire them. I just didn't have enough wire. I had to make a trip to Walmart at 9pm.. I used 45 feet of 16 gauge. Brought both wires through the door boot on the rear gate, through the plastic panel around the rear window, down under the door thresholds, then brought it up between the gap in the passenger side foot panel and into the space behind the glove compartment, then I fed it into the radio cavity. Dropping the dash bezel and taking out the radio on this vehicle is insanely easy and takes me about 5 minutes...I just soldered the new wires into the rear speaker wires going from the head to the Bose amp under the console. Probably only took me about 30 minutes to run the wire. The other 2 hours I spent cutting the door panel on the hatch and replacing pressure clips and stuff that break along the way.
This brings me up to a total of 12 "speakers". Two in the dash, one in all 4 doors, tweeters on the door pillars, the subs, and now the two in the hatch.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking install brent, i envy you having a full tailgate.. i'd be too afraid to sit down on those in my 2 door
Old March 26th, 2010, 7:22 PM
CF Monarch

I'd say you could pull it off if you could find a set with a full metal grille to protect them.

Here is part 2:

Name:  IMG_0034.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0036.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  50.2 KB

I need to update my garage sometime... haha.
Old March 27th, 2010, 1:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice install. looks good.
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks. They sound amazing. There is very little warbling now like I had with the stock paper speakers.
Old March 29th, 2010, 4:31 AM
CF Junior Member

honestly, 95% of aftermarket speakers are an upgrade from the stocks IMO. i mean i ran pioneer coaxial speakers in my doors and dash for a long time and everyone thought they were amazing.

I'm impressed at the installs Brent, i'm tempted to do the tailgate speakers now!
Old March 29th, 2010, 9:17 AM
CF Monarch

Thanks man. If you do it, you need to measure to the point where you have the greatest depth and cut your hole there. Then dynomat (or black mastic tape, same thing) around the hole on the back side of the door panel to cut down the vibration because it isn't mounted to a metal surface.

I used the black mastic tape like that to cover up the old Bose speaker boxes as well.
Old March 29th, 2010, 4:00 PM
CF Active Member

Those Sonys are the you have in your rear doors are the same exact speakers I installed in my 88 K5, I think they sound pretty good.

I put 6 of them in, not as fancy of an install as yours...lol

Quick Reply: Blazer- New audio stuff