Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Chevy Silverado K1500 4X4,- Front End Wobble In Steering Wheel at High Speeds...

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2022, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Chevy Silverado K1500 4X4,- Front End Wobble In Steering Wheel at High Speeds...

Hey guys,
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Pickup Truck. I have done some front end work recently. I will list the work I have done: Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, greased all fittings for tie rod ends and ball joints. The rubber boots for the ball joints are torn but who cares for now.
I needed to clean the upper control arm/alignment adjustments as everything was rusted. I did a minor adjustment to the alignment brackets located at the upper control arm connections but primarily needed to clean the area for the future alignment technicians. I also lubricated a loosened the nut adjustments for the tie rod ends. So, technically I did a minor alignment with a level and following some youtube videos.
Here is what I am experiencing when driving on the highway at high speeds:
The steering wheel wobbles back and forth at high speeds. What is super strange is it doesn't always happen. Meaning, I could be driving on the highway and NOT experience the wobble but most of the time I do...
I was curious to see what you guys think of the cause of the wobble. Appreciate your help!
Anthony
Old April 13th, 2022, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

The steering wheel wobbles back and forth at high speeds. What is super strange is it doesn't always happen. Meaning, I could be driving on the highway and NOT experience the wobble but most of the time I do...
I was curious to see what you guys think of the cause of the wobble. Appreciate your help!
Anthony[/QUOTE]

by the sounds of it your alignment it bad now, you've probably got the two front tires fighting each other for a straight path causing a wobble one direction or the other once one tire gives and the other grabs viseversa, I'd take it in for an alignment if I were you, chances are you probably have bad balljoints also, you can check those by jacking either side up one at a time with Jack under lower control arm, get the tire off the ground just enough that you can stick a board or pipe under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while watching the ball joints, if you see any movement in either upper or lower ball joint it's time to replace it, I suggest replacing them all when one is bad because it's only a matter of time before the next one goes, Amazon has full front end kits for these trucks for around 175$
The following users liked this post:
awbooth (April 13th, 2022)
Old July 12th, 2024, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

thank you!!