Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone upgrade their LS motor? (LS swap)

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2024, 12:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone upgrade their LS motor? (LS swap)

Hey everybody, just checking in to see if anybody's got advice or can share their experience with swapping out or upgrading their LS in their express? I have a 2009 extended that's holding up pretty well and since it's about impossible to get your hands on a 6.6 (not to mention the ridiculous prices of a new cargo van) I'm thinking of yanking my 4.8 out of my extended and throwing in a 6.0. Anyone do this, and what's involved? I heard the exhaust manifolds might be different? ECM I assume? I'd assume everything else would be drop in. My current 4.8 has about 230,000 on it and although it runs great, I just got done pulling a car through the Smokies and she sure struggles going up grades. Would love to have the extra power when I do need to pull a heavy load. I really don't see my mileage changing all that much. On a good day I'm getting 12-13, pulling that load I got about 8.5.

Last edited by expressvanman; June 9th, 2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old June 9th, 2024, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't done it but I doubt there would be that much too it. These vans are pretty simple to begin with and they already come with a 6.0 so everything you need should be available.

You might have better luck on a dedicated LS forum though.
Old June 10th, 2024, 6:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Derrick71
I haven't done it but I doubt there would be that much too it. These vans are pretty simple to begin with and they already come with a 6.0 so everything you need should be available.

You might have better luck on a dedicated LS forum though.
Thanks, yeah maybe I'll head over there since I'm not seeing much activity here. I'm not overly worried, it can't be that difficult. My 4.8 still runs great, but I'm tired of how much of a pooch it is. I'd love a new Express with the 6.6 but quite frankly I can't justify the price anymore with these things. They're just a tin can with no frills and they're getting ridiculously priced.
Old June 10th, 2024, 7:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by expressvanman
Thanks, yeah maybe I'll head over there since I'm not seeing much activity here. I'm not overly worried, it can't be that difficult. My 4.8 still runs great, but I'm tired of how much of a pooch it is. I'd love a new Express with the 6.6 but quite frankly I can't justify the price anymore with these things. They're just a tin can with no frills and they're getting ridiculously priced.
You should be able to put just about any LS in there with enough of a budget. It would be interesting to see an aluminum block 6.2 in a van.

I've been happy with the 5.3 in my 1500. It's only a bit less powerful than the 6.0 in the 2500 and the van runs out pretty well. At some point I may look at a few bolt-ons and a tune for a little more power.
Old June 11th, 2024, 7:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

If you go with the same year range 6.0l it should just be a direct swap. A better flowing exhaust and a slight cam on a refreshed long block with bigger injectors would likely be a good start.
Old June 12th, 2024, 8:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Derrick71
You should be able to put just about any LS in there with enough of a budget. It would be interesting to see an aluminum block 6.2 in a van.

I've been happy with the 5.3 in my 1500. It's only a bit less powerful than the 6.0 in the 2500 and the van runs out pretty well. At some point I may look at a few bolt-ons and a tune for a little more power.
The 6.2 would be fun. And it would still be cheaper than a new van....lol
I'll probably just go with the 6.0. I'm not looking to do anything crazy I just want a little more power for Pulling because with the extended wheelbase this 4.8 is just a pooch when it's loaded.
Old June 12th, 2024, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Triaged
If you go with the same year range 6.0l it should just be a direct swap. A better flowing exhaust and a slight cam on a refreshed long block with bigger injectors would likely be a good start.
My hopes and thoughts exactly. I was just curious if anyone's done a swap and ran into any snags I should be aware of before I dig into it.
Old June 16th, 2024, 2:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interested to hear how the swap goes, please keep us put to date
The following 2 users liked this post by Expresscv:
Derrick71 (June 16th, 2024), expressvanman (June 17th, 2024)
Old June 17th, 2024, 7:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Expresscv
interested to hear how the swap goes, please keep us put to date
Will do...