Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express 1500 big brakes?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2024, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express 1500 big brakes?

First time, long time.

I have a 2006 Express 1500 that has been transforming into my adventure camping van. At 370k miles, I had a rebuilt motor put in an now have 7500 on the new motor. I added more leafs to the springs in the rear and heavy shocks as I used to carry heavy loads for work. Now that I don't work that job anymore, the van has become my adventure van.

On a recent week long camping trip through the backroads of California and Nevada with a load of three people and a dog, I went down some massive hills and even with descending in low gear and prudent braking and experiencing a bit of terrifying brake fade, I have determined I need more stopping power. I already have the PowerStop Z36 Truck & SUV rotors and calipers. I am not finding many options for off-the-shelf big brakes for the 1500.....without spending a fortune!

I know that I need bigger wheels to accommodate bigger rotors, currently 16" 6-lug. I'd like to go with an 18 inch wheel that will accommodate a 356mm rotor. Who knows what other GM vehicles have this size rotor that could bolt onto the 1500? Does the larger steering knuckle from the 2500 and 3500 fit onto a 1500's front suspension? This would of course need the 8-lug hub. I'm pretty sure stock rotors on a 3500 are 325 mm and I think I would be OK with that upgrade if I can do a front suspension swap without too much issue.

What are some of my other options for getting bigger brakes without spending a lot of money for just a little more brake oomph?

Old June 25th, 2024, 12:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd start with better pads. I've had good luck with Hawk and Ackebono, they are made in USA and cost a bit more than China stuff. Look for at least an FF edge code. Performance Friction makes some Carbon Metallic pads that are more like EF, i.e. they actually need some heat in them to work. Look up DOT edge codes. When is the last time you changed your brake fluid? Using a quality DOT4 from a sealed container? How's the rear?

Have you noticed that the 3500's had narrowed from air dams? I've heard it was to keep more cooling air going to the brakes. Do some trimming? Best "big brake upgrade"?... a 3500 not 1500?
Old June 25th, 2024, 11:14 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had not thought of the better brake pad ankle before. I was so focused on bigger rotors for more surface area. I am going to go that route. Thank you!

I replaced my brake fluid about seven months ago. I keep a good eye on that.
Old June 25th, 2024, 9:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Please read our forum rules in the Welcome section. Only one account is allowed per person. What is going on?