Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rear Axle Seizing???

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2024, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear Axle Seizing???

I am the original owner of a 2007 Silverado Classic. 5.3V8 with 175k miles. It has the optional Eaton Locking differential and has been pretty much trouble free.

I've had some weird issues after trying to move the car after a day or two of rain (it sits in the driveway) and was thinking that the rear drum brakes might be the culprit, but now I'm not so sure.

For example, I was in South Carolina for three months this past winter and left the truck in my garage. I have a vinyl floor so there's very little moisture produced or generated from the floor.

When I cam home in May, the truck started fine but when I put it in gear, it acted as if the Parking brake was still engaged. I use my parking brake religiously, but purposely left it dis-engaged over the winter while in SC.

It took quite a few neutral slams to get the truck to finally budge forward.

That was the 1st of May and has been since.

But this morning I went to run some errands and it did it again. The truck was last driven two days ago and only this morning did it rain for a few hours.

I did have the parking brake engaged, but when I released it, the truck wouldn't move in forward or reverse.

I finally got it to move while in D, but had to rev the engine to about 3,000 rpm before it broke free and squealed the tires.

So just wondering if the problem might be in the Locker Rear end, or if there is rust forming between the shoes and the drum and acting like the rear brake is staying engaged. btw, the parking brake pedal releases and acts totally normal, and the cables are not rusted or sticking, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your advice.
Old June 26th, 2024, 7:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

The only way to know for sure is to take the rear brakes apart and inspect them. They may just need a good cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
RickR90s (June 26th, 2024)