Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Where is BCM wire for Reverse Lights - '09 LTZ w/4WD

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2024, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is BCM wire for Reverse Lights - '09 LTZ w/4WD

Does anyone know where I can find the +12v reverse illumination wire in a '09 LTZ 'Burban w/4WD under the dash area?

I am installing towing mirrors and I want the 'rear guidance lamps' on the towing mirrors tied into the reverse lamps (so that they illuminate BOTH when the unlock is pressed on the key fob to act as courtesy lights and when the shifter is placed into reverse to help illuminate behind the vehicle in reverse).

​​​​​​I cannot use the radio's rear view camera power because that runs off the CANBUS decoder (plus it won't send power when unlock on the fob is pressed anyway). I realistically need the direct power wire trigger to the reverse bulb on the tails, but I don't feel like tapping into the reverse way in the back and running a new wire all the way forward.

I cannot find any pin diagrams for my specific vehicle, and the videos I have found out there do not work/apply to my truck.

Old July 2nd, 2024, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by T.Sickles

I cannot find any pin diagrams for my specific vehicle.
charm.li or gmupfitter.com
Old July 3rd, 2024, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
charm.li or gmupfitter.com
Thanks for the links, but the GMUpfitters diagram is wrong for my model year. I think I need to locate one specific to my actual vehicle due to variations even between GMT900's.

Here's the diagram it shows for the BCM (X5 connector {brown}, Pin #11, Dark-Brown Wire):

Now here is my Brown X5 BCM connector and Pin #11. Wire #11 on mine is yellow, not dark-brown like the diagram says it is:

Farther proof the diagram is incorrect, look at this dark-blue wire on my connector. That dark blue wire is Pin #7. According to the wiring diagram above, Pin #7 is unused.... so clearly the diagrams are incorrect for my vehicle. I also probed every single pinout on the BCM X5 connector and not a single one reacted in sync with the reverse lights when triggered.

Old July 3rd, 2024, 2:41 AM
Super Moderator

I definitely wouldn't be molesting or piggybacking my BCM circuits. I'd run a new power wire back to the fuse panel and then switch it with a relay energized by the circuit #24 signal.
Old July 3rd, 2024, 2:51 AM
CF Beginner

I definitely wouldn't be molesting or piggybacking my BCM circuits. I'd run a new power wire back to the fuse panel and then switch it with a relay energized by the circuit #24 signal.
​​​​​​Will be using it for a relay trigger that is fused, not a main power source, on low voltage LEDs...just as it was designed. I'm trying to keep the install as clean and OEM looking as possible, hence don't want to mess with tapping into the relay on the fuse block PCB and feeding into the cabin.
​​

Last edited by T.Sickles; July 3rd, 2024 at 2:52 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2024, 5:07 AM
Super Moderator

the 2011 electrical manual might be closer to your vehicle's layout
https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-conten...abs_100813.pdf
and pay particular attention to page A-13

The other link I gave you (charm.li) will definitely have schematics for your exact year.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 3rd, 2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2024, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Try X2 pin 22 for the BCM signal to the reverse lamp relay.
2009 Burb Backup Lamp Schematic
Good luck
Old July 3rd, 2024, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like there's already a provision for reverse signal. You could just tie into "Junction Block - Left instrument panel" on circuit #28.

If you want to go the safe route and not risk frying your expensive BCM, there's a nice fused circuit (#24) right there (Fuse 15 VEH BCK/UP)

I have no idea how you're going to tie in the keyless remote though.

w

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 3rd, 2024 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jfmorris (July 3rd, 2024)
Old July 3rd, 2024, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Try X2 pin 22 for the BCM signal to the reverse lamp relay.
2009 Burb Backup Lamp Schematic
Good luck
That was it!
​​​​​​
Thank you so much for your help, everyone.

I have no idea how you're going to tie in the keyless remote though.
BCM commands the relay regardless of whether it's shifted into reverse or keyless entry asks for lighting.

Last edited by T.Sickles; July 3rd, 2024 at 7:58 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2024, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

there's already a relay on x2:22
if you put one in series, you may not get enough voltage to operate either of them. If you put one in parallel, you may overload the circuit. You also need to protect against voltage spikes from relays per the technical bulletin I mentioned. just FYI.
The following users liked this post:
jfmorris (July 3rd, 2024)

Quick Reply: Where is BCM wire for Reverse Lights - '09 LTZ w/4WD