Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Where is the air intake for cabin HVAC system?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the air intake for cabin HVAC system?

I want to cut out a hole in the HVAC system to retrofit a cabin air filter into my 2005 Chevy Express 2500. But after looking at a ton of videos, assembly diagrams, etc., I simply do not understand where I should retrofit an air filter. Any help would be amazing!
Old Today, 4:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the HVAC system is anything like the one in my old 2003 Yukon or my 2006 Silverado, the factory cabin air filter would go into a slot in the black air handler under the passenger side of the dash, with the filter accessible pretty much by removing the glove box. What's funny is that while my 2003 had a cabin air filter, the 2006 has a molded feature that LOOKS like the edge of the removable air filter, but is not - There is no actual opening there, but a rectangular area that LOOKS like it should be the cabin air filter slot, but is molded over.
Old Today, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmorris
If the HVAC system is anything like the one in my old 2003 Yukon or my 2006 Silverado, the factory cabin air filter would go into a slot in the black air handler under the passenger side of the dash, with the filter accessible pretty much by removing the glove box. What's funny is that while my 2003 had a cabin air filter, the 2006 has a molded feature that LOOKS like the edge of the removable air filter, but is not - There is no actual opening there, but a rectangular area that LOOKS like it should be the cabin air filter slot, but is molded over.
No, it is not like those. It does not actually have any cabin air filter and does not have a location to add an air filter like other GMT800 trucks do. Furthermore, the rectangular area you are referring to does not exist on these vans, so a retrofit cabin air filter could not be placed there.