Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

ABS module programing

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2024, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS module programing

The ABS on my 2004 Silverado 2500 showing codes indicating a pump failure. I can get a re-manufactured control module, but it appears it will need to be programed. which so far it seems my options are:
  • Buy a j2534 pass through module, software, and 3 day access to the program and do it myself.
  • Take it to a shop - they said dealer only
  • Take it to the dealer - they said a re-manufactured module can not be re-programed.
Is spending the $1000 to do this myself the only option here and how can I tell if its the control module or the pump assembly?
Old July 30th, 2024, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 275 Likes on 238 Posts

Try contacting SJ Auto Solutions on Facebook - I heard about them on a podcast and they can supposedly source & pre-program modules.

I haven’t had the need to use them yet so I don’t know what all they offer module programming for.
The following users liked this post:
ycgoat (July 30th, 2024)
Old Yesterday, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its the module that's on the frame, under you drivers side feet, you don't need to reprogram it.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, the GM parts direct part is a re-manufactured and states it requires reprogramming. The local auto parts store has Doorman re-manufactured that say plug and play. So I am going to install the Doorman and see what happens.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
CF Junior Member

I repair this type of modules, just did a 2002 HD, the hardest part is working on the brake lines. If you cant get the 4 top screws out of the module the complete unit has to be removed and brakes re-bleed. There's no programming required.
ycgoat (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you
Old Yesterday, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Also make sure the module motor works, as it should, as it can cause a problem with the ABS relay failing. You can check the motor by unplugging the motor plug, from top of module, applying 12 volts and ground to wires and measure amp draw. If the motor, only, is bad it can be changed out without removing the complete ABS module assemble by bending or cutting the rear most support motor bracket , I used a Sawzall to cut the end support and removed the two 7mm screws holding the motor to the assemble, pull back motor. When I re-install the new motor , I used the two 7mm screws to hold it and not re-attach the cut off part, it could be welded back on if required.
Old Yesterday, 1:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ycgoat
Thanks, the GM parts direct part is a re-manufactured and states it requires reprogramming. The local auto parts store has Doorman re-manufactured that say plug and play. So I am going to install the Doorman and see what happens.
I imagine it's not so much reprogramming required, as you need to bleed the ABS system, which is done easiest using a scan tool that can command the ABS system.
ycgoat (Yesterday)