Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 G30 Van 5.8L V8 overheating but not?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 G30 Van 5.8L V8 overheating but not?

Last edited by ablewaker; Today at 8:29 AM. Reason: don't see my original post other than title and pic
Old Today, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Recently bought 1992 Chevy G30 5.7L V8. with 77k miles. . . . I am a newbie at DIY mechanical fixes / maintenance. Records indicate Previous owners seemed to do all schedule maintenance and take good care of her. She runs choppy and variably at idle and lower speeds (I'm told that's fairly normal for these generation?)
The main issue right now: She is overheating and I'm not sure why or what order of fixes, checks, etc I should try to go in.
It takes her less and less time to become VERY hot. Even though the temp gauge is reading all normal engine temps, the heat is noticeable and almost unbearable in the dash area. Warning Light comes on coinciding with the overheating, and goes off once she's cooled down and operating normally for a short while at lower speeds. Within about 4-5 mins of driving over 50mph she begins to overheat quickly.
Coolant levels checked and are good. Fan seems to be operating normally. One kid doing a battery test (confirmed battery and alternator are good) suggested its running rich, and also needs a tune up and that would fix the overheating problem? I'm fearing worse (aka manifold or gasket leaks or worse) but want to stay positive. ANY advice or discussion is very welcome. thanks all!

Last edited by ablewaker; Today at 8:34 AM.
Old Today, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 217 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to chevy - IMO a normal cooling system would maintain proper tem pseven if running poorly. You say you're a newbie - are you handy with tools and comfortable following a troubleshoot list? This could be as easy as changing a thermostat or other cooling system maintenance items. Any previous recordson history of coolant changes, thermostat, water pump etc
The following users liked this post:
ablewaker (Today)
Old Today, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1992 G30 Van 5.8L V8 overheating but not?

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Welcome to chevy - IMO a normal cooling system would maintain proper tem pseven if running poorly. You say you're a newbie - are you handy with tools and comfortable following a troubleshoot list? This could be as easy as changing a thermostat or other cooling system maintenance items. Any previous recordson history of coolant changes, thermostat, water pump etc

Hi and thanks Rednucleus !
nO i DON'T SEE ANYTHING RELATING TO RECORDS FOR PREVIOUS FIXESAROUND THESE TYPE OF ISSUES. OOPS SORRY FR ALL CAPS MY PHONE IS DOING ITW OWN THING....
yes
I am handy enough with tools. No expert but I can turn wrenches, etc. And I can follow guidance or instructions very gratefully! Any help or advice or steps to instruct are appreciated!

Last edited by ablewaker; Today at 9:38 AM.