Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Easiest/Cheapest way to replace/reprogram TPMS sensors?!

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2024, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest/Cheapest way to replace/reprogram TPMS sensors?!

Hey Guys,

I've got about 10 Chevy Express 3500 vans that I rent out and they are constantly having issues with the TPMS sensors malfunctioning and giving an error message on the dash. It wouldn't bother me personally too much, but being rentals, people freak out when the dash says "service tire pressure sensor" or whatever the error says exactly. I'm not sure if the sensor(s) are faulty or the batteries on them have died or some ofher issue. I've tried the re-learn process tons of times on several vans and can never seem to get it to work. I have one van where I took it to an independent tire shop and they rotated the tires and now the tires that were on the back are reading as if they're on the front and vice versa. The shop doesn't have a scanner and said they can't fix it. That's just one of the vans, I think I have about 5 of them right now that have some kind of TPMS error showing on the dash.

Since this seems to be a common occurrence for these vans and I have several of them, it's probably not a bad idea to invest in some kind of scanner so I can do it myself and continue to do so as they fail in the future, if I can find one that actually works. I took one van to Big O here in Arizona a while back and asked them to install 4 TPMS sensors I got on Amazon for pretty cheap. After they installed them, they told me they couldn't program them because their scanner was a certain brand (Max Sensor brand maybe?) and they said they could only communicate with Max Sensor brand sensors which they wanted to charge me around $60 each for the sensor and to install and program them AND I think they may have said I have to do all 4 at one time, not just the faulty one, which I can't justify spending $300+ per vehicle just to make the error go off the dash when the tires are the pressure they're supposed to be, but just not reading correctly. Please tell me there's a better way?

Is there a certain scanner that can program the majority of what's out there? (OEM and some other aftermarket brands) I'm looking at a Launch brand scanner for $189, but apparently they can only program Launch brand TPMS sensors? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, but willing to get what I need to take care of these f'ing things. I've fixed most issues on these vans myself and these TPMS sensors are killing me! I just can't afford or have the time to take them to the dealer or Discount Tire, etc everytime these thing have an error. There's also an Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF for $198 that has some pretty good reviews for whatever that's worth. I have a ThinkDiag2 scanner that has a lot of features, but I'm not sure TPMS programming is one of them?

If I only have 1 sensor that's not communicating for example, can I just get 1 sensor and replace it and if so, does it need to be a GM genuine OEM part? After replacement, do they always need to be reprogrammed? I bought this cheap little orange scanner off Amazon that I saw a bunch of people using with success and it didn't work for me so I just tossed it.

I'm pretty lost/frustrated at the moment, any help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you
Old September 14th, 2024, 6:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought one of these and it worked for me. I got new wheels and tires and put a sensor on the spare. Too bad it won't pick up the spare.
Amazon Amazon
Old September 14th, 2024, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
I bought one of these and it worked for me. I got new wheels and tires and put a sensor on the spare. Too bad it won't pick up the spare.
Amazon Amazon
Yep, that's what I bought and couldn't seem to get it to work
Old Today, 6:31 PM
CF Senior Member

It's possible you have dead batteries. They don't last forever. You could get a new TPMS sensor that is already setup for a "GM", have a tire shop install it (or try your hand at doing it yourself), then use that tool to reprogram the van. I had best luck holding the TPMS orange thing on the sidewall by the valve stem and angling it around until it sensed it.
Old Today, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

I bought SCHRADER 21507 valve stems. About $20 each.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&cc=0&pt=12036
The following users liked this post:
azjaybird (Today)