Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

454 blown cylinder help!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2017, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 454 blown cylinder help!!!

Greetings all,

I acquired a 72 454 LS6 from a friend for free, he had it laying around for several years after what he thought he blew the motor after overreving it. He had to get rid of it and I was looking for a 454 4 bolt.....I took it off his hands and tore it down the other night and found after getting heads off that no. 4 cylinder completely blew the piston apart, all that was left were a few molten pieces and it punched a hole in the cylinder wall. My question is I called a few machine shops and said it could be sleeved. I explained it appeared the hole went into the water jacket and if that would be an issue and was told it would not be. 454 4 bolts are hard to come by where I am especially an LS6 block and if I can salvage this block would be worth while to me. My fear is can this be sleeved and will I need to worry about a water leak and how does the sleeving seal the hole into the water jacket. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please I have already been razzed by friends about it being a paper weight.......
That chunk of metal in pick was a piece of the piston I was able to pull out......

Old January 29th, 2017, 8:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds nasty ! :-(

I would ask around & try to find the local machine / engine shop that has the best reputation . And ask about a guarantee . ( If you are going to race the engine , maybe no guarantee ? )

Might broaden your search ? Could be worth shipping , both direction , to get the best work done ?

God bless
Wyr