Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban Strange Sound

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:02 PM
BLP
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban Strange Sound

1999 k1500 Chevy Suburban LS 350 V8 4wd. Bought from a neighbor who has since moved. Started making a strange sound....thought it was belt or pulley related. Changed the belt, Alternator, idler pulley and tension pulley.....no change. Removed belt, sound still there....so it's not belt or pulley related.....strangest sound I ever heard.

Video link:

Any idea on what it could be?

Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2017, 1:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A one minute video and you couldn't even blip the throttle to see how the sound changes with engine speed?
Old May 24th, 2017, 4:30 PM
BLP
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
A one minute video and you couldn't even blip the throttle to see how the sound changes with engine speed?
Good point....the sound seems to go away when I give it some throttle, but this is when the belt is on and with the fan running so it's a bit hard to tell.
I'll have to go through the warmup process to where it makes the sound, then remove the belt and see if it changes when I hit the throttle.

Last edited by BLP; May 24th, 2017 at 6:00 PM.
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:23 PM
BLP
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BLP
Good point....the sound seems to go away when I give it some throttle, but this is when the belt is on and with the fan running so it's a bit hard to tell.
I'll have to go through the warmup process to where it makes the sound, then remove the belt and see if it changes when I hit the throttle.
This video is of the sound, with no serpentine belt and some throttle. Thanks.

Video link:

Last edited by BLP; May 24th, 2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added video link
Old May 25th, 2017, 7:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, so it's probably not a mechanical noise in the engine, since it doesn't change pitch with engine speed.

Are you sure it's coming from the engine bay? I'm almost inclined to guess fuel pump, since it goes away with some throttle.

Try turning on the ignition (turn it to "run"), but not starting the engine. See if you still hear the noise.
Old May 25th, 2017, 10:37 AM
BLP
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Ok, so it's probably not a mechanical noise in the engine, since it doesn't change pitch with engine speed.

Are you sure it's coming from the engine bay? I'm almost inclined to guess fuel pump, since it goes away with some throttle.

Try turning on the ignition (turn it to "run"), but not starting the engine. See if you still hear the noise.
It only makes the sound when the engine is running......no sound when engine is not running and key is in the on/run position. Sound does appear to be much louder under the vehicle.....Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you figure this out be sure to update. Did you check to see if the crank pulley is rubbing on something? Does it have a mechanical fuel pump? An exhaust leak? Intake leak at the air cleaner etc..?
Old May 27th, 2017, 9:37 PM
BLP
CF Beginner

Default Step in the right direction?

Noise changes/disappears when I open the oil cap or remove PCV .... replaced PCV about 6 months ago. Seems like there is too much pressure in the engine.....any ideas? Thanks.

Video Link:
Old May 28th, 2017, 4:28 PM
BLP
CF Beginner

Default PCV valve connects to?

1999 k1500 Suburban 5.7 4x4......replaced the PCV VALVE, no change......strange noise seems to be related to the "gizmo" that the PCV Line connects to......Haynes manual no help.....any ideas? Thanks.

Video Link:
Old May 28th, 2017, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe that line is clogged downstream. Inability to relieve pressure in the crankcase will cause a blown main seal. Don't fool with that.