Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Scan Tool Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2017, 7:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan Tool Recommendations

I am a new 2011 Suburban owner. I got it in February with 136,000 miles on it, knowing that it may have little things go wrong. I was right.

I have enjoyed doing a few little things I could figure out with YouTube videos, but I had a Service Park Assist issue, replaced all 4 sensors and the cable (which was pretty tough for me, and I ended up with scrapes & cuts all over my hands!), and still had the issue. I ended up paying the dealership $100 to tell me that 3 of the 4 sensors I put in were junk. (I guess their sensors that literally cost 20 times the junk I got from eBay would work, but I can do without the sensors if that's what it costs!!!)

I know this isn't the last of my warning lights. Can someone recommend a decent scan tool that I can buy to try and identify problems on my own? I don't want the cheapest junk version ever, but I'm not a mechanic. I am just learning as I go, so I don't want something that's crazy-expensive unless there is a really good reason.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old June 30th, 2017, 7:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the vehicle can set powertrain, body, chasiss and undefined codes. to see every type of code you need a full function scan tool. if you just need to see codes that set the mil, you can get a code reader. lauch creader vi is a good product and cost $90 us.

the best laptop system out there is autoenginuity. $300 and you can buy a the gm system that will do everything a factory scan tool can do. If you need other brands, you buy more software.
Old June 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

BlueDriver can read more than just the MIL. ABS codes, transmission codes etc are supported as well. It will also give you suggested fixes. It costs $99.95, with free shipping in the US and Canada. You can enter your specific vehicle on our website to see what codes are supported for your specific vehicle.

Last edited by LemurVehicleMonitors; June 30th, 2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 5:48 PM
CF Junior Member

So now I'm confused. I guess I don't know what is an error code vs. MIL vs. DTC vs. anything.
My "Service Park Assist" is actually on again even though I replaced the sensors twice. But I can see the little rubber grommet is not seated correctly on 2 o the 4 so I assume that's why.
I recently got a Launch CReader 6001. The dash shows "Service Park Assist" and when I run a diagnostics it says that there are no faults.

So is that considered an "MIL"? Is the DTC just when a general "Check Engine" light comes on? Is there any way to tell me which park assist sensor is causing the issue? Or is that a more "full function" tester?

Is there a good web site that will give me the general run down on codes?

Thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 7:37 AM
Super Moderator

mil, dtc, cel are all interchangeable terms

powertrain code faults will turn on the check engine light. these faults effect pollution control emissions.

most body codes have no associated indicator to inform you a fault has occurred. The ones that do have their own dedicated warning lamp are the airbag system, security system. park assist faults will most likely be found here

chassis codes set for the abs and traction control system

undefined codes are used mostly for prob;ems with CAN network communication problems.

an easy way to perform one type of check for the park sensors is to put the car in reverse and check the sensors with a mechanics stethoscope....you can here them tick.

the creader 6001 is only a code reader not a scan tool...it will only read powertrain codes.

Last edited by tech2; July 23rd, 2017 at 7:40 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
mil, dtc, cel are all interchangeable terms

powertrain code faults will turn on the check engine light. these faults effect pollution control emissions.

most body codes have no associated indicator to inform you a fault has occurred. The ones that do have their own dedicated warning lamp are the airbag system, security system. park assist faults will most likely be found here

chassis codes set for the abs and traction control system

undefined codes are used mostly for prob;ems with CAN network communication problems.

an easy way to perform one type of check for the park sensors is to put the car in reverse and check the sensors with a mechanics stethoscope....you can here them tick.

the creader 6001 is only a code reader not a scan tool...it will only read powertrain codes.
I hate that I'm reading your answers, and I feel like the 7 year old when I try to explain things to him...

I thought this was a "Scan tool" based on the description, but I guess not.
I did the tests on the sensors and they all CAN work, because I can hear all of them ticking. It actually usually works when I am backing up, but as soon as I put it in Drive, the error message comes back on and the Park Assist light goes on under the radio. So they're off. But when I put it in R, I hear a beep and they appear to be working again.

I was told that a real scan tool will tell me which sensor is causing the problem, if it's a problem with the sensor or the cable or the way it's seated in the connector, etc. I actually looked up that Autoenginuity because I'd really like to learn more about how to work on the Suburban because I enjoy it, but it looks like I'll be dropping $500 on the tool and the GM package. (Or $800 if I want to get Ford too and I can use it on my Escape. Or over $1,000 if I want to work on the Girlfriend's Kia too.).
Is there something that will get to the level of detail of telling me the details behind the park assist errors for less than $500?

When I bought the Suburban in February they used some monster scan tool to actually program my new Key FOB's as well. Is there something that will also do that?

I really am sorry that I'm not understanding anything. I wish I could find a "working on your car 101" web site or book so I can at least get to know the words that everyone is using on this site!!
Old July 23rd, 2017, 7:58 PM
Super Moderator

if you have a big hitch in the hitch receiver....take it out to make sure the sensors are not picking up the hitch.

full function scan tools are not cheap...that is what you need to read the codes you want to access.

you pick out a scan tool and i will give you my opinion of it.

maybe try automanuals.biz
All Scanners & Readers
Old July 24th, 2017, 8:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by tech2
if you have a big hitch in the hitch receiver....take it out to make sure the sensors are not picking up the hitch.

full function scan tools are not cheap...that is what you need to read the codes you want to access.

you pick out a scan tool and i will give you my opinion of it.

maybe try automanuals.biz
All Scanners & Readers
Thank you very much for your input. I think right now I'm going to do some reading before I do much else. I want to be sure I'm making as educated of a decision as I can. Then once I do that, I'll probably review some of the scanners on that site! I think that will be the first place I start reading!!

Thanks.