Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 cavalier help

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2017, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 cavalier help

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some help.
my 2001 cavalier 2.2 has been sitting for a couple of months. I tried to start it and got nothing. Assumed it was the battery but when I put a charger on it says full battery charge.
When the charger is on this is the noise I'm getting. The first link is in the car, second link is under the hood.
it sounds like it's the starter making that noise but weird how it does nothing with the charger off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

https://youtu.be/l0So3VH26M4

https://youtu.be/H1gC10JfxdQ
Old October 16th, 2017, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

maybe the starter solenoid cycling....which is typical when the battery is bad... the battery has only enough power to close the starter solenoid...when the real draw of cranking the motor occurs...the battery ****s the bed and the solenoid opens.....its cycles repeatedly and that is the clicking noise. have the battery load tested or sub in a new battery.

do not jumper with the old battery connnected...a battery with a bad cell will consume all the power of the new battery or booster battery and the clicking will occur.
Old October 16th, 2017, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
maybe the starter solenoid cycling....which is typical when the battery is bad... the battery has only enough power to close the starter solenoid...when the real draw of cranking the motor occurs...the battery ****s the bed and the solenoid opens.....its cycles repeatedly and that is the clicking noise. have the battery load tested or sub in a new battery.

do not jumper with the old battery connnected...a battery with a bad cell will consume all the power of the new battery or booster battery and the clicking will occur.
aweosme thanks for the reply Ill get the battery checked. That would be an easy fix!