Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dexcool Coolant: Red or Orange

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2017, 10:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Dexcool Coolant: Red or Orange

I needed to top off my Dexcool coolant in my 2008 Suburban. I had it changed by the dealer 4 years ago and I plan to change it again a year from now unless the water pump goes first. Looking at the side of the coolant tank, it seemed to look red. I have seen discussions about this. I purchased a gallon jug of AC Delco Dexcool in a blue jug with a bright orange cap. I opened the cap and found the Dexcool to be a bright orange in color. I poured it into a white plastic container. It was orange as orange can be. I added 40% distilled water to it and it was still orange. Now, my present coolant in the radiator and coolant tank was 4 years old so I was thinking maybe age and chemical reaction turned it red.

So it poured about a quart of the new Dexcool (mixed with 40% water) into the tank thinking I would see a mix line where the new coolant hit the old coolant. Guess what. The brand new orange coolant looks red through the plastic of the coolant tank. This is even before it hit the existing coolant. Can this be the source of all the questions regarding red Dexcool? ORANGE DEXCOOL LOOKS RED WHEN VIEWING THROUGH THE PLASTIC OF THE COOLANT TANK.

Try it yourself. Thanks.

SD

Last edited by Suburban Dude; December 10th, 2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old December 11th, 2017, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

at least its not brown ................=bad. Seen that in a few surge tanks.
Old December 12th, 2017, 5:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
at least its not brown ................=bad. Seen that in a few surge tanks.
Yeah, me too.

Most people also dont change the transmission, axle, brake, and power steering fluids much, if at all. The shops make a ton of money
off of all that lack of maintenance.
Old December 12th, 2017, 8:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

coolant, engine oil, trans and 4wd fluids are important.

my take on p/s and brake fluid:
p/s fluid changes are a scam imo....never seen a failure related to not changing p/s fluid.

brake fluid, the darkening of the fluid is due to the rubber seals, not hydroscopic absorbtion. pour water into a container of brake fluid; its stays clear. Maybe if a person races the lower fluid boiling point may be an issue. Never seen a brake line rust from the inside out. I do flush mine cause i'm ocd and like clean looking fluid but i wouldn't if i had to pay $150 for someone to do it.
Old December 13th, 2017, 9:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve found a turkey baster re-fill, done three times on a power steering pump, can help quiet the pump down. Also, doing the re-fill probably can extent the life of the hydro boost on the 3/4 tons, but don’t really have proof of it. Mostly the OCD at work. LOL. Thanks for the feedback.

SD