Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

06' Chevy Express tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2017, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06' Chevy Express tranny trouble

Hey guys, van started shifting in and out of 5th gear then quit moving altogether. The van was in the shop for 7 days. Tranny rebuilt. Guy made me nervous, I think he was nervous because he kept telling me to go easy for the first few hundred miles. Well 100 miles later and the van doesn't like reverse at all. Also, I had a short moment today when the van wouldn't downshift, kind of like when all the problems began. Any info will be appreciated. Thx.
BTW everyone I've spoken with post repair is saying I shouldn't have to worry about burning a rebuilt up as long as I don't stress it out real bad which I haven't.

Last edited by Joshua Bartlett; December 16th, 2017 at 4:59 PM. Reason: New thought
Old December 16th, 2017, 8:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not a transmission guy, but I have dealt with shady mechanics in my 60 years. It needs to go back. Any reputable mechanic won't have a problem with that. But before you do that, crawl under and check it for signs of being worked on in the first place.

Like Reagan said. Trust, but verify.
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
I'm not a transmission guy, but I have dealt with shady mechanics in my 60 years. It needs to go back. Any reputable mechanic won't have a problem with that. But before you do that, crawl under and check it for signs of being worked on in the first place.

Like Reagan said. Trust, but verify.
Hey thx. They contacted me "bring the van in and we will fix it." $1700 dollars this thing better be awesome, I think he needed more time with the van but I can't survive sitting at home twiddling my thumbs.
Old December 17th, 2017, 2:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know. I hate that as well. And even more since I sold my spare car.